We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour agency book wrong flight date

singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Tour agency book wrong flight date

I've booked a free & easy tour to Australia from 7 to 15 June with a tour agency. However, They have booked the wrong departure date (8 June) instead and told me that there is no more flight ticket on 7 June. What they could offer me was a refund of $200 for the 1 night hotel stay. I have paid more than $2000 for the flight & hotel stay (considerably high) but just to get this poor service. That accounts to more than $200 per night. Also, by departing 1 day later, we would miss a day tour which we have paid ($200).

I am still negiotiating with them on the compensation.

What are the things we could ask for compensation, besides the hotel stay and day tour?

What are the legal action that we could take against the company if we are not reasonably compensated?

Thank you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

$2000 for a 7 day tour, including airfare and accommodation is cheap. I'd take the $200 offer.

Can they not book you on another airline

singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
2. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

Hi Raelene,

Thanks for the advise. But it's $2300. This only includes the air ticket, 8 night stay in 4* hotel and transfers tru & fro airport to hotel.

It excludes tours, food & other expenses.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
1 review
3. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

I'm confused, is the tour in Australia separate to the flight? If you booked with a tour agency, was the flight part of the overall booking? How did they come to book the wrong date? Do you have evidence that the mistake is indeed theirs? Generally I book my own flights and accommodation, but in the past I have used a travel agent and I have had to officially review (and accept) the proposed itinerary before the bookings are actually made.

"It excludes tours, food & other expenses" - have you paid for these separately to the $2300 for the tour or are you anticipating these costs? I'm not sure you can claim compensation pre-emptively.

Are there any airlines that have availability on the day you need to fly? Could you negotiate with the tour operator that they rebook on another airline for the correct dates?

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

instead and told me that there is no more flight ticket on 7 June>>>>>>

I think they just dudded you flights are cheaper on a Saturday than Friday

just tell them to book another airline...their mistake their loss.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

Valerine60. See I think that's a pretty good deal as accommodation isn't that cheap. I fly home to Australia a lot, and very rarely get a cheap flight.

Anyway, can they put you on another airline?

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

Did they not show you e mail you a copy if the itinerary before you paid?

I would never let anyone book anything verbally for exactly this reason. You have little evidence to make a claim if they do make a mistake.

I would be firm with them and say you want to fly on the day you specified, and stick to your guns.

Worst they can do is continue to say no and give you the $200

singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
7. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

Hi all,

thanks for the advises.

To clarify, its $2300 per person. the flight costs about $1000 and the rest goes to transfers & hotels, which sum up to about $200 per night per person. I feel that for a 4* hotel room of $400 per night is not cheap, neither is the flight ticket.

it is obvious that its the fault of the tour agency as they have helped us to book the hotel room for the 7th June, but our flight on 8th June.

we have called & wrote in, and is waiting for their reply now :)

i wouldnt recommend anyone to go for this tour agency.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

it is obvious that its the fault of the tour agency as they have helped us to book the hotel room for the 7th June, but our flight on 8th June.

------------------------------------------------------

Have they actually admitted in writing that it's their fault? The fact that they've offered compensation suggests they accept they were, but doesn't prove it. Did they, for example, claim the compensation was ex-gratia?

Any further action you contemplate is much easier if they've admitted fault.

On the other hand, contract law may be completely different in Singapore. And different again if the tour operator is in a different country.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

hotels do seem a little expensive but there is the currency excange tp take into account which is approx 25%

i flew to melb about 10 times in last year and only once got a flight under 1000 so thats a pretty good deal

cant see why, if its their mistake they cant just put you on another airline though

Edited: 12:26 pm, May 22, 2013
10. Re: Tour agency book wrong flight date

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 24, 2014