We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
26 reviews
US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

I am traveling US Airways Glasgow to Philadelphia, I paid for a choice seat, got an E- mail confirming this, and it was on the seat map.

On checking tonight, i do not have a seat reserved on the plane, I tried to reserve the same seat, but it is requesting $87 again.

I tried to phone US AIR but the offices are closed, I would appreciate any advice you can give me. eg would it be easier to pay again and request a refund.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
52,556 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

When are you travelling? If there has been an equipment change that's one thing, but if the US gremlins have shifted you out of a [paid] seat so they could give it to someone in the Dividend Miles program (that's just a guess) then that's very poor form, US.

If you've got a credit card charge indicating you've booked the seat and the email confirmation, then try giving US a shout again to politely enquire about the status of your booking, '...oh, and about the seat I've requested....' US's offices are in Arizona so they'll be open at BST-7.

Good luck.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

Traveller Plus,

There's no way the denied a paying customer a choice seat for a Dividend Miles member. As a Chairman (the highest FF level awarded by US), they still require us to pay for choice seats. They do not give out choice seats for free.

OP,

A call to the res line when they reopen will solve your problem. Keep your confirmation email handy. There's no need to rush unless the flight is very full. Their website stinks, so this thing happens.

Worst case scenario, dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Edited: 10:45 pm, May 20, 2013
Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
650 reviews
3. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

Perhaps this is an opportunity to show up early, smile at the check-in agent, show your documentation, and suggest that - if the upgrade you paid for isn't available - perhaps there are seats available in the front of the plane which could get them off the hook?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
24,732 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

>> As a Chairman (the highest FF level awarded by US), they still require us to pay for choice seats. <<

Crikey! And there were some of us (United) Star Golds whining about having to pay for them. And (unlike UA's Economy Plus) apart from being near the front of the plane there's no tangible benefit (extra legroom, etc).

That doesn't sound like a very friendly FF program! I'll have to drop in on the American FlyerTalk pages and see what they have to say about this. There's nothing like a merger to get people's ends up over there! :)

Edited: 3:17 am, May 21, 2013
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
318 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

At least upgrades are unlimited at all levels (unlike the first 3 tiers of AA's program). I have a feeling the merger will bring the worst parts of both FF programs.

The benefit to choice seats are:

-front of plane

-priority boarding

-few people purchase them so you are most likely to have a free middle seat and, if traveling with a companion, you can usually book seats together, even on a very full flights booked close to departure

Here's somwthing right off the website- If your reservation changed after you checked in, please call 800-428-4322 to request a refund.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
381 reviews
6. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

I must be missing something. Unless you're traveling the next day (i.e., today, May 21, in which case the post is a moot point), why wouldn't you just call again when the offices are open? It may be something that for some reason doesn't show up on the computer. I would not pay twice and hope for a refund.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
7,445 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

Upon checking on the US website yesterday, for flights in August, (advice on here about keep checking) I noticed for our second leg, from Philly to Orlando seating had been altered:-(:-(:-(

It was because of a plane change, B767 to B757......

We were all split up over the aircraft...... Two adults & two children under ten.......

A quick call to US in the UK & all was resolved within 10 minutes:-):-):-):-)

The gentleman I spoke to told me a computer program re-allocated our seats, due to the plane change, but for some unknown reason split us up.........

It was sorted with no fuss, so it proved good advice, to keep checking your booking:-):-):-)

Thanks for the advice............

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,182 posts
381 reviews
8. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

And keep checking before your trip! Good to hear a positive outcome.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
7,445 posts
74 reviews
9. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

Checking every other day now;-);-);-);-)

Cheers........

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: US Airways - Paid for choice seat and it has been removed

Thanks for all your replies, got it all sorted out, blamed it on a computer glitch.

Actually came out better for it, as I had booked 2 choice seats at $178, but they only cancelled 1, but refunded money into my account for the 2, at $178.

I had to rebook another choice seat at $87,

I explained that they had refunded me the full amount, and was due to pay again for 2 seats, but the rep replied as the system showed that 1 seat was still booked, they could only charge me for 1 seat.

She said I was effectively getting a free choice seat.

Get answers to your questions