We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meals on Flight When Using Air Miles?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Meals on Flight When Using Air Miles?

I just noticed something odd on our flight reservations. Our family of 3 is now flying on three separate reservations due to a ticketing error that happened after I made the reservation. We are all flying on the same operated by BA, Boston to LHR. One of us bought a ticket, the other two are using AA miles. Interestingly, the purchased ticket states that a meal is provided on the flight while the two tickets using miles have an empty blank spot in that same section. Are you only served a meal when you pay for the ticket? Do you not get any good when you fly on miles? Never flew on miles before so don't know. The purchased ticket is coded N while ours are X. Thanks in advance for any advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meals on Flight When Using Air Miles?

If it is a British Airways flight and plane, all passengers get meals without ever paying - BA does not charge for drinks/food on any of its flights.

Not sure if it's the same with AA, which is why you need to know if it's a codeshare flight and which carrier will actually be flying you.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meals on Flight When Using Air Miles?

I meant " do you not get any food". LOL, apologies.

Yes, the flight is operated by BA on a BA plane.

Edited: 11:13 am, May 20, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meals on Flight When Using Air Miles?

Bookat, as Jeremy says, you will be treated identically whether you paid by credit card, cash, miles or smarties, eg you'll all get the standard fare for that trip.

I am sure the difference between miles/non miles is down to a SNAFU between American and BA reservation systems unable to swap some information types. The only reason it would matter is if one or more of you wanted special meals, eg veggie, kosher etc.

Aside this, I do suggest you call BA in order to get your three PNRs linked (if this hasnt already been done) so that BA know you are a group.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meals on Flight When Using Air Miles?

Appreciate the reassurance, there has already been a series of "snafus" with AA so far in booking these flights using miles so I would not be surprised. Good point about calling BA to link the reservations, I will do that. Thanks!

5. Re: Meals on Flight When Using Air Miles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 22, 2014