We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

Nice
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

Beware of their booking mobile app - it is designed to fraud your money. They scammed me for £280. And I can't get it back:(

I attempted to use their mobile app and was charged 4 (FOUR) times for 1 transaction. When I tried to make a booking, the app displayed a message 'the card payment hasn't gone through', so I retyped the card details, thinking I made a typo, the same message appeared, so I switched to my debit card. After having received a third message 'The card payment has been rejected' I moved on to my laptop. The payment on the laptop has gone through fine.

You can appreciate my surprise when, a week later, I discovered 4 transactions from Wizzair, 3 of which were for different amounts of money, and when I logged in to Wizzair, there were 4 bookings for the same name, same flight, same date and the same hour. So, according to Wizzair, I'm going clone myself 4 times,. Summarising, they owe me £280 for 3 of those transactions.

I emailed their customer service, but no response for 9 days and counting. They say if you have an urgent issue you can call them but... the calls cost only 77p per minute!! Nice way of making a few extra bob on top of what they've scammed out of me already.

So not only did they steal my money by abusing my consumer trust, but also want to charge me to speak to them!

I recorded it with my bank as a fraudulent activity.

Have anyone else have such experience? Did you get a refund?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,596 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

A good example of why it's always a good idea to check with the bank and airline that a payment genuinely hasn't gone through if there's an error message. It's happened to me before (with another airline) though they simply refunded the money from the first transaction.

I think you need to eat the phone-cost and contact them. Sometimes the banks won't help you unless you've attempted to resolve the issue yourself first and it may put you on a Wizz Air blacklist, casuing issues with your reservation (and any future ones).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,627 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

I would never book a flight on a mobile app. Plenty of things that could go wrong, including an interrupted internet connection (did it stall and you push the "book now" button multiple times?), inadvertently booking the wrong flight with such a small screen to view the info, and scope for spelling mistakes entering the information.

I use my airline's app (United, their app is good and matured) to check reservations and seat allocations (and make changes), but I still don't feel comfortable handing over money based on a small screen and the lack of info it displays.

So, 10 out of 10 for booking directly with the airline, but be more careful next time.

Edited: 5:03 am, May 18, 2013
Nice
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

Thank you very much for your replies, even if they make me even more worried. I will not use any app to a book a flight ever again - lesson learnt.

As to the call charges - it feels like a big, juicy slap in my face. They deliberately don't get back to us, customers, for weeks on end, becasue this is another way of making money from us, and this irritates me more than the cost itself. I would rather pass these charges on to a charity.

I read some reviews on various websites and people say that getting any refund from Wizzair is next to impossible (even for a cancelled flight). There must be a law against it?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,184 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

Lodge a formal dispute with your credit card company. Wizzair will have to pay attention to them.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

Dispute the payments with your card company and they will deal with Wizzair on behalf of you.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,225 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

As noted, don't worry so much about contacting the company, simply file fraudulent charges with your credit or debit card company or bank. They have the full power and responsibility to manage fraud. My past experience has been that you will receive an immediate and instant credit followed by an investigation.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

Booking the same ticket 4 times can hardly be called fraud;-)

The Hague, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

Keep on reminding them! I had a similar case in which they basically cancelled the flight and then it took them more than nine weeks (and 4 calls and several mails from my side) to return my money. I had the impression that at a certain moment they realise that you will not give up and finally do something.

To reduce the costs for the calls a bit, you can try to call the landline telephones on their contact page using a VoIP application like Skype. It worked for me with the Cyprus phone number (in this case the costs were about 20 cents/minute).

I also noticed when using their website claim form that all mails sent under the subject "payment error" where basically ignored. When I tried a different subject ("Flight cancellation for commercial reasons" in my case) I received a relatively fast and competent reply. It's maybe a coincidence, but it might be worth while to try different subjects.

The Hague, The...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

I would like to add to my previous comment that if your bank / credit card company can in fact cancel the transactions for you, it's of course even better. The initial booking problems are maybe not fraudulent, but there is clearly no legal basis for the additional charges from the side of wizzair since you will only receive one seat in the plane.

What is in fact fraudulent in my view is to keep money to which the company is not entitled for months and to additionally rip the customers of by forcing them to call an overprized call centre which provides them with strange and constantly changing reasons. I completely agree that this is probably illegal and something should be done about it. Part of the problem is maybe that watchdogs / consumer rights organisations are mostly organised on a national level, so it's difficult to act against abuse from a company in another country...

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wizzair has cleared my bank account.

I'd be cautious about ONLY contacting the credit card company, and not Wizzair.

Why?

Because you did actually book 4 tickets for yourself using the app/laptop, and you want to make sure Wizzair doesn't respond by saying "Well, 4 tickets were booked in the same name, perhaps the passenger wanted more space" or something.

Unlikely, and not common sense, but equally it certainly wasn't fraud on the part of wizzair so I don't see how you could say that - but certainly disputing the charges will get a faster response.

But you need to have a record that you have told Wizzair, maybe a screen grab of an email at least