We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester Airport Arrival

York
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester Airport Arrival

I'm looking for a bit advice, I land in Manchester, UK from Cancun at 7.15am on the 24th June and I need to book my train tickets but just can't decide what time to book them for. Has anyone made this journey or similar recently? How long did it take you to get through customs and baggage claim? I know the airport will be busier than usual at that time as many long-haul flights will be coming in. I'm thinking of booking the 9.35 train but my friend seems to think we'll be waiting around for ages? Any help would be much appreciated.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,271 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

"I'm thinking of booking the 9.35 train but my friend seems to think we'll be waiting around for ages?" - Are the train tickets limited to a particular train service, you should be ok with the 9:35 train as long as your incoming flight is on time as I normally find I can be out of the airport in around 1 hour on average.

An earlier train might be ok depending on the time but increases the risk of missing it if you're delayed for any reason - I'd probably stick with the 9:35 option to reduce stress levels and simply grab a bit of breakfast after landing.

York
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

Yeah it's daft that my ticket could only be used for that particular train. I could get an open ticket but it'll cost approx. £30 more. We have iPads and will most likely be starving after the flight so will have plenty to do to fill the gap. Thanks for your help, I needed a second opinion! Will go ahead and buy the ticket.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

I think its daft to book a fixed departure train ticket after a flight. What happens if the flight is delayed? Regardless whether you could make a particular train if everything is ok, I'd book an open ticket.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

I would get an off peak return and plan to travel after 9.30. If I am traveling by air I never buy a ticket for a specified train in case of flight delays. If you miss your train it could work out a lot more expensive as you would have to buy another ticket. Will be buying an off peak return for my own trip in September from the same airport.

Immigration should not be much of an issue as you can go through the self service gates with your current passport - if they are working. Baggage reclaim can be unpredictable. Last time I used Manchester we waited nearly an hour before bags from our flight started to appear. You are arriving at the same time as other North American flights such as the one from Newark so it could be busy.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,417 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

There is a special exemption for passengers using First Transpennine services from Manchester Airport. This allows Advance tickets to be used on the next available departure within three hours of the original booking, if their inbound flight is delayed.

Tickets must be endorsed at the Ticket Office at Manchester Airport station, before boarding the train.

This easement also applies at Liverpool South Parkway (for arrivals at Liverpool John Lennon Airport).

tpexpress.co.uk/campaigns/manchester-airport/

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
719 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

Probably not good for myself as not sure if the same arrangements are in place for Northern/ Virgin or London Midland if going via Crewe or with Cross Country if there is a need to go via Piccadilly.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

SharmerK you are probably on the same train as I catch. They go twice an hour at 05 and 35 past the hour. I get off at Leeds.

If you are arriving at 7.15am you should allow at least one hour so you will be possibly be in a position to catch 8,35am train.

I usually buy an open ticket there's not much savings to be had with these cheaper advanced internet train tickets.

I touched down Manchester at 6.30am last March coming in from Abu Dhabi. Sailed straight through immigration and got suitcase promptly. The longest part was the plane taxiing around for 20 minutes waiting for a gate. I was in a position to comfortably catch the 7.35am train

Dukinfield, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

price ov barcadi in duty free europe only

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

Is that a question or a statement? If its a question, a few manners would be good.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester Airport Arrival

classy x