We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

essex england
Level Contributor
273 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

Can anyone tell me what the position of Ryanair is with taking a C-PAP machine on as hand luggage. I have a doctors letter saying it is a medical necessity but can I take it on free of charge and also have 10 kg hand luggage or what? What have your experiences been? Thanks

67 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,211 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

Have you checked out the section about medical equipment on their website?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

Is easy......

ryanair.com/en/questions/what-is-a-medical-e…

essex england
Level Contributor
273 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

On their webpage it says that you need to contact special services and gives a number that tells you that you cannot bt contacted at the moment. The website seems to say that you need a special letter from them allowing you to carry it but trying to contact someone to get this letter seems nigh well impossible. How long does it take to receive this letter? Is it just for the one flight? Why is nothing but nothing easy with Ryanair!!!!!!Any help would be appreciated

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

Hi

What's difficult about Mon to Fri 9am to 17.55

Jackie

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
30 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

I fly with a CPAP and related kit on every airline weekly, this is no problem. Best way is to leave the humidifier at home, pack the unit with hose into a backpack, place the mask inside a protective bag or inside a thick piece of clothing to prevent damage and you're ready to travel. Security staff know what CPAP machines are and will not see them as unusual in any way, the airline doesn't care.

I fly 200K miles annually; throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa and North America. Never once have I ever experienced any problems brining my CPAP on board in a carry-on and neither will you. Just remember to bring wall plug adapters and ask the hotel reception for an extender if there are no plugs by the bedside. Relax, enjoy your holiday!! :-)

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
756 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

Don't forget this is Ryanair we are talking about who go out of their way to enforce one of the meanest hand luggage allowance in the skies at present. There is a chance that they may insist on it going in the hold as they have a one bag carry on rule. Check with them before you fly as it would be expensive on the day if they enforce this rule. Fingers crossed they will allow it but remember Ryanair don't play by the same rules as other airlines.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

Hi

Is 10kg of hand luggage mean?

Jackie

Level Contributor
3,422 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

this is Ryanair we are talking about who go out of their way to enforce one of the meanest hand luggage allowance in the skies at present

---

Shock horror. An airline enforces its own rules.

remember Ryanair don't play by the same rules as other airlines.

---

You mean they just enforce the rules, and don't relax them for everyone who that thinks they are special and that rules don't apply to them.

Edited: 9:35 am, May 18, 2013
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
756 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

No.Airlines should enforce their rules but in a case like this the rules should be flexible enough to be broken if there is a genuine meed. Most airlines - and certainly the full service airlines are likely to accommodate this if they are contacted. But from what has been posted on here about Ryanair they are more likely to go out of their way to the level of being pedantic about enforcing them. The only I can say is persist with trying to contact them as it may save a lot of problems at the baggage drop.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,211 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?

Have you even read the special assistance information on their website, or are you just guessing?

Reply to: C-PAP machine on Ryanair flights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted