We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap li-ion camera batteries on planes

Auckland Region...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap li-ion camera batteries on planes

A few months a go i bought myself some really cheap, compatiable spare li-ion batteries for my digital camera because the original was not lasting as long. I was wondering if anyone knows if these cheap, non-branded batteries would be safe to take on an airplane (for roughly 4-4.5 hrs)? I only have 2 spare batteries which is under the airlines regulations.

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap li-ion camera batteries on planes

Why would they not be safe to take on a plane? If they are unsafe, what about around your house, you should be worried about them bursting into flame at night perhaps ? If you don't think that will happen, why are you worried?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap li-ion camera batteries on planes

these are the qantas rules:

All Spare Batteries for Consumer Electronic Devices

Spare batteries with a Watt-hour rating exceeding 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh for portable electronic devices. No more than two spare batteries

All spare batteries for consumer electronic devices must be carried in carry-on baggage only. They must be individually protected to prevent short circuit using one of the following:

In original retail packaging;

Taping over exposed terminals;

Placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap li-ion camera batteries on planes

Joe, I can understand the question as here in Australia it's illegal to mail anything with a lithium ion battery that's going air mail! You can't for example sell a mobile phone on ebay then mail it from where I live in Tasmania to mainland Australia. So why it's ok in the cabin on the plane I don't know!

Logan City...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap li-ion camera batteries on planes

Why a Lithium-Ion battery is "ok in the cabin" - But not in Baggage :

From the US TSA [same in OZ] "In the cabin, airline flight crews can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur." -

Whereas in the Baggage compartment there is a large pile of squashed baggage [Squash => short-circuit => Fire] and the Fire might not be detected until it is too-late and even once detected it probably couldn't be put-out by the fire-suppression system - Further : No Lighters or Matches in your baggage either ; Carry them on. [No Liquid-Fueled Zippos - EVER] - I am Flying into Tasmania to Camp ; Hence my research on this Topic.

5. Re: Cheap li-ion camera batteries on planes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 22, 2015