We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to apply for a B1/B2 visa if I am just transiting?

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Possible to apply for a B1/B2 visa if I am just transiting?

Hi,

I am a 29 yo living in UK, on a South African passport (no visa waiver allowance with US), and I'm travelling to South America for a few weeks in July, with flights via the US and a stopover of less than 12 hours. The two US stopovers are anout 3 weeks apart. Unfortunately this means I need to get a visa - it appears that the C1 (transit visa) costs the same as the B1/B2 tourist visa ($160 for my several hours!!), and additionally seems to require much the same extensive supporting documentation.

I'd like to travel to the US again, so it seems way more worth the hassle and money to apply for a B1/B2, which may allow me to travel to US on holiday again without repeating the stress of the whole application.

So my question is - is it possible to be travelling in transit, but apply for a B1/B2 visa, while motivating intended future travel?

Thank you!

Will

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to apply for a B1/B2 visa if I am just transiting?

Hi,

Ostensibly yes, as the B1/B2 does not, in and of itself, dictate or require a minimum period of stay when entering under a B1/B2.

However, do remember in the US (as the standard is in most countries) any one visa does not in and of itself "guarantee" so-to-speak, entry to the US. That process and determination is largely at the discretion and adjudication of actual immigration officer who handles your entry formalities at the airport.

I'd take a close read of the full rules to each class of visa that you are contemplating, and be sure your travel plans meet or exceed all the listed criteria for each type under consideration.

In most countries, the US Embassy has a section - Consular Affairs or Non-Immigrant Visa Section who is directly responsible for these classes of visa. If you are unsure, I'd reach out to them for formal clarification or advice.

Travel Safe,

2. Re: Possible to apply for a B1/B2 visa if I am just transiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 16, 2014