We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

Just noticed a thread regarding pre- reserved seats on Lufthansa being switched prior to flight. A number of posters have suggested that it is necessary to keep pre- checking your seats on a regular basis so you can see if your seats have been switched. I have paid extra to reserve seats on BA for me and my two children so we can all sit together on our long flight to UK in September.I had assumed that once I had done this I would not need to worry about it so I will be really annoyed if we turn up at the airport and find out we are not seated together.( Don't really mind if our seats are changed as long as we are all together.) Can anyone tell me if I need to keep logging onto Manage My Booking every few weeks to check if these seats have been switched? Just wondering....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,187 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

Yes. It takes just a minute and will assure you that all is well. Pre-selected seats can and do get changed for all kinds of reasons.

You're the one who is going to be smart about it and check your booking regularly and get it fixed if it happens. Let the "not so smart" ones stand at the check-in desk an hour before the flight and yell at the agent when the seats have been moved and the 3 family members aren't seated together and there are no more seats available except singles in the middle.

Edited: 6:34 pm, May 12, 2013
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

Yes, and I do it weekly because it can change at any time and the quicker you catch it, the more chance of getting something decent. It happens and you need to be on top of this just in case. Happened to me a few months ago for flights booked 7 months prior, but because I caught it, I was able to get seats close (2 adults with an infant and kids 9 & 7). The one child was in a row behind, but that was not a big deal since it was across so the older two took turns there and they were diagonal from us. (Easier to keep the two adults with the 1 year old to keep him entertained.)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

'.... if we turn up at the airport and find out we are not seated together.' Should you wait until bag drop at the airport to confirm seating assignments, you may be on the way to tears before bedtime.

If your children are under age 12, all in your party (if you had a single booking) would have been allocated seats at seven days prior to flight departure, at no charge. Although you have paid for seat selection, check again at T-7 days to see if the gremlins have been at work.

You should also check in on line rather than wait and check in at the airport. You need not print boarding passes, especially if you plan to check bags, as you can collect the BPs at the airport. But OLCI will enable you to see available seats from that time - and if you want to change them you may be able to do so.

As far as checking MMB every few weeks, I usually keep an eye on bookings at least once a week, just to see if any enhancements have been made. YMMV.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

I have paid to allocate our seats Melb - NYC return in a couple of weeks on Qantas. On the Qantas website it clearly states that seat allocations can be changed by the airline for a number of reasons, so I have been checking once or twice a week since I allocated them to make sure that hasn't happened.

So far so good but I will keep checking right up until our departure date. As said above, it only takes a minute to do and could potentially save you and your family from a nasty surprise at the airport!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,908 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

On my last QF flight I was moved. They moved me because they needed the seat for a woman with a toddler and an infant in a bassinet. No problem. No seat, even reserved seats that cost extra are guaranteed.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

One needs to remain Pro-active ....I check my bookings weekly to see if everything is status quo.Usually it is due to to an equipment change ...but not always.

The seat shuffle game by the Airlines is a common one ...it matters not if you have specially pre-arranged seats...nothing is guaranteed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

Thanks everyone for responding. I shall keep an eye things now that I understand that pre paying to select your seats is no guarantee that you will get the seat you paid extra for. Or maybe I will just let them park my kids next to some stranger and they can be someone else's problem all the way to London....LOL :)

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

Hi

buying an airline ticket is not like buying a seat at a major concert

when you buy an assigned seat at a concert that is your seat and no one can sit in it during the concert

when you buy an airline ticket you are not buying the seat you are buying the service to get you from point A to point B YOU have contracted with the airline to get you to point B in a timely and safe fashion.

every thing else is up for negotiations like baggage, seat assignments, food, drinks.etc

the best advice has already been given "be pro active" and do not take an problems personal

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

Sawadeeka.

Not wishing to be too pedantic, buying an airline ticket is buying a transport service from A to B. so what are you buying when you buy a pre-assigned seat?

I would suggest that you are buying just that: a pre-assigned seat. But airlines live in a contractual world of their own, enabling them to do whatever they want. It is a one-sided contract which requires government intervention every now and again.

But I totally agree - don't trust the B^^^ers. keep checking.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So what is the story with pre choosingyour seats?

I MMB every week but, in an alternate reality, might expect it wouldn't be too much trouble for the airline to auto-generate an email if a change is made to your seat selection.

Ive only been moved once and it was just 1 row behind but curious what are the rules around refunds if seat is changed?

What if your party does end up split? What if you are moved 10 rows back?

Thanks