We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal flights USA

geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
119 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Internal flights USA

I'm planning a 1 month trip to the states next year with my 17 year old, i visited back in the 90's and for $450 i had 1 months unlimited standby travel within the USA with Delta .

1. Do these type of standby tickets still exist?

2. What would be my best bet for internal travel on a limited budget?

3. What is a good search engine for low cost internal flights?

4. Do the rail companies offer competitive prices and have a good network?

My itinery could be something like NY - MIAMI - NEW ORLEANS - S. FRANCISCO - LAS VEGAS (GRAND CANYON) - NY.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,866 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internal flights USA

1.Don't know for sure, but I do not think so. It's been a while since I've heard of an unlimited standby ticket. Flights are pretty full these days so getting standby seats is not as easy as it was years ago.

2&3. kayak.com is a good one for comparing internal US flight prices. Bing.com/travel will give you a prediction whether prices on a route are likely to rise or drop in the near future. Also, southwest airlines, southwest.com, is one of the larger, better US airlines, and they do not advertise their flights on any 3rd party sites, so check their site directly. Jetblue is another highly rated low cost carrier. United, American/US Airways, and Delta are the three big legacy carriers with the best route network.

4. No, not on the routes you are talking about. Train travel in the US is only good in the northeast. For cross country routes, it is often as expensive as flying and takes a lot longer. It's done mostly as tourist thing to see the country.

Also, while it's not obvious from a map, Phoenix is probably as convenient to get to the Grand Canyon as Las Vegas.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internal flights USA

Phoenix would be closer to the South Rim, by about 40 miles (Flagstaff would be even closer but has a lot fewer fights). LV closer to the North Rim of the GC. LV would have more flights than Phoenix.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,866 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internal flights USA

I would disagree that LV has more flights than Phoenix. Both have large airports, but Phoenix is bigger. And most of the tourist services are on the south rim, anyway.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internal flights USA

I do not believe those type of unlimited standby tickets exist anymore. I know that family members of airline workers can get something similar, but this is not available to the general public.

Train travel won't be a viable option for your destinations.

Booking internal US flights is very easy. Just use sites like Expedia or Kayak to research fares, then go to Southwest.com to check their fares because they don't advertise on those third party sites. Consider alternative smaller airports, alternate days and off-peak times for better fares. Then, go DIRECTLY to the airline that has the best price and book there. NEVER use a third party booker- if there's a problem you'll be in a mess (just read the forums for hundreds of other people that have learned the hard way).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internal flights USA

Southwest is excellent. However, their prices (like all airlines) vary from day to day. But, they do have an advantage. If you book a ticket, for $200.00 and later they have the same flight for $150.00, you can rebook at the new price and have the $50.00 in an account to use within one year of your original booking. Their fares seem to change on Tuesday mornings. I am not sure if you could use this to your advantage or not.

They also check 2 bags per passenger at no cost. Most US airlines charge $35. to $50. per bag. So, this may be an added incentive to consider Southwest. For the NY to Miami trip, you would probably fly to Ft. Lauderdale Florida. They do fly to Phoenix, Las Vegas, and to Salt Lake City.

It is worth researching.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internal flights USA

There *are* deals you can get through the airlines for domestic travel tied to your international flight. They aren't offered to Americans so people rarely hear of them. Call your airline that is doing the international segment.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internal flights USA

Here's the Amtrak train network map: amtrak.com/ccurl/…0.pdf

A trans-continental flight is hours and hours inside a plane seeing nothing. The train journey across the States is an epic adventure you'll remember for the rest of your life - true, you don't do it to save time, or for that matter money, you do it because you only live once and life is too short to fly over everything at 35,000 feet.

If you pre-book, you can cross the States from as little as $212 - for 3,000 miles, a bargain.

Give it some thought...

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internal flights USA

Life is too short for long distance train travel;-)

9. Re: Internal flights USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 15, 2014