We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

Booked return trip London to Kuala Lumpur with Malaysian Airlines. for 3 month round Asia trip .

Needed to come back early due to family emergency. Travel agent had not advised it was non changeable ticket. Agent asked Malaysian Airlines for change - agent was told this was only possible on death of immediate family member. Wanted extra £1600.

Airline had had 5 weeks notice and could easily have resold ticket. It was Easter We sent airlines numerous emails including to senior executives by name - not one even acknowledged emails - Does anyone know how to complain to them? - their system is very well hidden. My advice? don't use Malaysian Airlines!!!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

My advice? Buy a ticket that is changeable!!

Did you have travel insurance?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,294 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

"We sent airlines numerous emails including to senior executives by name - not one even acknowledged emails "

___

Not sure if you looked into what the conditions of your ticket were if a change was required. It is normally all written in the T&C's of which you as a passenger/customer agrees to at the time of purchase.

As for not getting a response to any of your emails, I'm not sure it is cost effective for a director or board member of a company to be responding to emails from customers. That is what a Customer Services Department is for.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

I'm not even sure how to write this and still be polite.

Did you ask for a flexible ticket, obviously not, the price is very much more expensive, you can't just go cheapest price and hope it's changeable. Secondly, and more importantly, did you not read the terms and conditions associated with the ticket. It would have told you clearly the change conditions. So again obviously not, and I suspect you still haven't.

Honestly, you can't blame the agent for your lack of interest in the terms of the ticket you bought.

You can't complain because you could not be bothered to understand the terms and conditions of what you bought. I'm sorry but that's nuts. Your terms and conditions mean you enter into a contract with them. The least you can do is read it at some stage.

Seriously, no wonder they are not responding or acknowledging your emails, I'm actually surprised I am.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

Sorry to hear about the circumstances but your travel insurance should be the first port of call I would think ?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,712 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

depending on when you booked, it is quite likely that buying non-changeable tickets saved you around £1000 each. maybe next time, spend some of those savings on a good trip insurance.

if you email the customer service department, you will get a standard acknowledgement followed by an aswer within around 28 days. trust me, the ceo really isn't bothered whether you fly with them again or not. the flights from kl i've been on have always been full.

oh, and here's a thing. every eticket i have had from MAS has shown what can and cannot be done on that ticket.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

It would have been a good service if the travel agent had informed the customer about the terms of the ticket.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,994 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

"Does anyone know how to complain to them?"

So you want to complain to them because they held you to the terms of your ticket? It's not the airline's fault you didn't read them or ask about them before buying it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

>>It would have been a good service if the travel agent had informed the customer about the terms of the ticket.<>

I am pretty sure they were given them and agreed to them, so yes, they would have been informed and in writing, I am also pretty sure, that they never requested flexible tickets, or they would have said.

What, are we now saying, people are simply so idiotic, they actually have to have the terms and conditions read out loud to them, because they can't be relied on to either read or understand them?

Wait, don't answer that, I think I might know the answer. Sigh.

Edited: 3:59 pm, May 10, 2013
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

OP said: 'Travel agent had not advised it was non changeable ticket';-)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysian Airlines-so poor + wont respond to email

Nothing in the ticketing sent by the travel agent said it was non-changeable or changeable? Perhaps. OP had cause to assume they were changeable, and didn't think ask for confirmation until they wanted to cancel? Hmmm. Maybe OP doesn't travel much. Tickets have generally been non-changeable (unless specifically specified, and, as noted, with a higher price) for many years.

OP's anger at Malaysian and their advice not to fly them doesn't make sense. Might as well not fly any airline (or, as suggested, be an informed consumer and pay for a ticket that can be changed, though OP doesn't state if they had cause to think they might want to cancel). Their policy on cancellations is standard throughout the industry. Yes, technically they could have resold the ticket, but that applies to any such ticket on any airline and anyone who's read many posts here knows how often people buy tickets that can't be canceled, or changed, and didn't get refunds.

OP: unless you can document how the airline violated the terms you agreed to when you purchased the ticket (even if you're saying the agent did so on your behalf without informing you), complaining to them is pointless. Pleading, maybe. Complaining, no. If you feel the travel agent did not meet their professional responsibilities, then complain to them. Not the airline. BTW, many airlines don't reply to e-mails. I'm still waiting for a reply to US Airways (and it wasn't asking for a refund).

Edited: 4:39 pm, May 10, 2013