We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Heathrow connections

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Topic
London Heathrow connections

I am connecting at Heathrow from British Air to to American July 29. Do I have to collect bags and go thru customs? I know I have to change terminals. I have about 3 hours.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Heathrow connections

No, as long as you have a boarding pass for your onward American flight you may proceed through Flight Connections from T5 to T3. As BA and AA are both in OneWorld, your luggage will be checked through to your final destination.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,427 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Heathrow connections

British air is what one breathes in the UK; British Airways (or BA) is the airline.

if your flight is on BA metal and arrives at LHR T5, and if your bag will be checked through, then from T5 disembarkation, follow the signs to Flight Connections. You will then enjoy a bus ride along the Southern Perimeter Road and a slow slog across the airport to T3.

There you will go through a Security check and then to Departures. As you will stay airside you will deal with neither immigration nor customs.

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: London Heathrow connections

Sounds good. Not sure if BA will check thru for American since they are ticketed separately.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Heathrow connections

>> Not sure if BA will check thru for American since they are ticketed separately.<<

You're in luck. Because both flights are on OneWorld carriers, they treat separately ticketed flights as if they are through tickets. It's advisable to ensure that you have enough time to make a connection, but your 3 hours should be fine.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6348497…

I'm not sure if you'd be able to get your AA boarding pass from the BA check in desk at your originating airport though. Make sure you do OLCI.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,493 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London Heathrow connections

So you are on separate tickets - so what happens if BA decides not to check your luggage through?

Where are you coming from as that will affect whether you pass through immigration / customs in order to collect luggage?

What is your back up plan if things do go wrong and you miss your flight?

Why did you book separate tickets with only 3 hours between flights?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Heathrow connections

^^^ Alan, read post #4.

OneWorld airlines have an arrangement whereby they DO look after you if on separate tickets. BA to AA is within OneWorld. The OP will be okay.

(I can see holes in this 1W policy - someone booking separate flights shorter than the MCT for example - but the links state they deal with it.)

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Heathrow connections

(I can see holes in this 1W policy - someone booking separate flights shorter than the MCT for example - but the links state they deal with it.)

This concession follows the baggage rules for booking 1 through ticket,so if it is less than minimum connection time,there is no through baggage check.

8. Re: London Heathrow connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 12, 2014