We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight connection times

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
142 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Flight connection times

We are off to Houston, Texas in a month from now. I've become concerned that the flight connection time is too close...after reading some people advise a few hours.

On the outgoing flight from Birmingham to Amsterdam...we have a 1.40 connection time. On the way back...from Houston to Amsterdam we have a 1 hour connection time. I understand that the plane really needs to leave on schedule for this to happen but my worry is that it will be too short.

What procedures do you need to do when connecting? Do we stay airside...do we need to collect bags again? I'm sure they just carry on to the next flight? Do we need to queue for security etc? Both legs of the flight are with KLM...and this trip option was available to book via KLM/Delta but was slighty cheaper using netflights.com. Surely they would not advertise such flights and connections if this was deemed too short? Just worried that if we missed a connection...that we would end up paying.

Any thoughts on this? Also any thoughts on KLM? Have flown with Continental on a single aisle plane to Newark in 2005 but typically we fly with Thomson and have done so long haul. The plane is the mixed cargo one...which I believe is quicker loading/unloading.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,093 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight connection times

Your connection times of 1.40 and 1.00 at AMS should be ok although you need your incoming flights to be on time to avoid any stress.

On your outbound flight your bags should be tagged to AMS and you wont see them until Houston - similar on return to Birmingham.

All you need to do is get off plane and get to the gate, AMS is basically one terminal so it's easy to navigate.

There might be a security check at the gate on your outbound flight, I recall one when I last connected through AMS on the way to US.

KLM/Delta are on a par with United (now merged with Continental).

http://www.airlinequality.com/

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight connection times

Points in no particular order.

Outgoing time is fine.

Luggage should be transferred through outgoing ( check at bag drop they do this ) not sure about the return.

If a flight is late, Delta/KLM will put you on a later flight at no extra cost. Plenty of flights Amsterdam to Birmingham I'd have thought,that's the tight connection

Saving a few quid through a third party might seem like its a good idea, it's the same flight after all, right, you might be thinking? Except, when you need some support, or a flight is rescheduled, or there is a problem with your tickets, now you have an intermediary to deal with and things can quickly go pear shaped. It's not a zero sum game where all seats are equal whoever you bought them through, you save money at the cost of extra risk.

You have already booked flights, there is nothing you can do about it now anyway.

Edited: 5:04 pm, May 07, 2013
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
142 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight connection times

Thanks for the advice. Do they not tend to transfer luggage going inbound? I understand that issue...it did work out around £100 cheaper each so every penny counts. Obviously the support is not guaranteed...but providing it was not an illegal connection...then I'm fairly happy. The 3rd party should honour the airlines rules...though I understand it could be more difficult to sort a problem out.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight connection times

As you've already booked the flights no point in worrying and it is tight but it should be enough I think the limit transit time is 50 minutes.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight connection times

The 3rd party should honour the airlines rules.

=====

Thats' not a problem, the airline will honor their own rules, which are that if its a legal connection, then they will put you on a later flight (rather than the NEXT flight).

The issue is, should you need to contact the agent. For example, take your 1 hour connection and lets say between now and the flight date, there is a minor reschedule so you now have an "illegal" connection. Now you have the fun and games of something that might seem straightforward such as getting the third party to answer the phone or emails and come up with an acceptable alternative. ISTR lots of complaints about netflights being almost impossible to contact.

Anyway, now I've worried you, good luck !

6. Re: Flight connection times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 10, 2014