We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
605 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

Hey folks, our 18yo daughter is travelling from Manchester to Brisbane through Dubai. She's flying on a through ticket with Qantas / Emirates (codeshare).

She's never done a trip like this before on her own though she is a frequent traveller. She's always had us with her to guide... we struggle ocasionally so we're a tad worried now she's doing this on her own.

Any hints / tips you can give her to get her safely through the airport to her departure gate?

We're a bit worried she'll settle down in a cafe, fall asleep and miss the connection! (she could sleep for England). We've told her to get to the gate and sleep there if she wants rather than in the main concourse.

Many thanks in advance!

TA

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

were i you, i would advise her not to sleep in the airport at all. there was a young man left asleep at the gate not long ago - his parent posted on this forum. also, sleeping in public is a little risky. not so much on an aircraft, but in the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

if she sleeps tell her to set an alarm on her phone, to go off 40 mins before she is due to depart. Too many stories of people falling asleep at gates and being left behind.

really, the truth is airports in general are not complex ( with some notable exceptions.lol) just tell her to follow the signs, dont linger and get to her gate in plenty of time. she can sleep on the plane:-)

3. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, May 07, 2013
uk
Level Contributor
219 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

I recently found changing planes at Dubai for flight to Perth quite bewildering for the first time in nearly fifty years of air travel.

My connecting flight was from a B gate which required using the airport train to get from the concourse I arrived at. There were no signs to indicate that and no personnel around to assist. It took me an hour to find someone to help after I had walked around the huge concourse in vain searching for the B gates which are in a different section of the airport altogether with what i found very inadequate signage. Tell your daughter to stay alert and to neither sleep nor dawdle in the very enticing duty free shops...just to get to the connecting gate asap. I personally would never sleep in a public area of an airport unless I had a companion with me to stay awake and alert.

Personally as I have said in a previous post I would far prefer to transfer at Changi which is a dream to navigate. However now that Qantas are in bed with Emirates that is no longer possible if using QF...shame.

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
605 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

JoeUK - I didn't ask for anyone to comment on my daughter's health or her apparent reliance on bank of mum and dad.

She actually bought the ticket herself, using her own savings, from her part time job.

To everyone else - thanks for your tips. Mobile phone alarm sounds like good advice.

Any navigation tips?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

Must admit I am dreading transiting through Dubai when we go there next month after reading lots of horror stories on Skytrax. Friends assure me it isn't *that* bad but I'm still worried! We're concourse B in T3 on the way out but have to go from A to B on the way back. So I'm after any tips too!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

I have no issues with Dubai. I find it quite a good airport. I have certainly been in worse ie I hate Charles de Gaulle.

Just look carefully at the signs and make your way to your gate, worse case, ask someone, even in a shop, they will help.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

The signage has certainly improved since the first days of the new A380 terminal being opened when I went through in Jan compared to the journey last week. The one thing I found frustrating was that the gate/terminal number was not available when my flight arrived and I had to wait for about an hour for it. I like to position myself in the right terminal and close to the gate nice and early.

Remind your daughter that Dubai is one of the airports that has internal security checks after deplanning and before entering the terminal area itself, and on some flights to Australia there have been occasions when drinking water purchased in the terminal for the flight has been removed at the airbridge.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

I've travelled through Dubai several times, but last year when I had a 6 hour stopover the gate for my onward flight to Brisbane was changed several times - so do remind her to check more than once.

S M
Merseyside
Level Contributor
605 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai Airport - Connection for young, lone traveller

Thanks folks, great advice.

Let's hope she listens....