We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Topic
LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

London to NYC. Intercepted at LHR with a woman claiming to offer an "upgrade" for more "legroom" at "fiftee(n)" pounds. Accepted. Got to counter, it was actually "FIFTY" pounds. Embarrassed, so paid it. I don;t believe the fast-talking was a mistake.

Airbus seats were technically more "legroom" until flight underway, when we discovered we were in the aisle for the toilets on either side of us. Flight FULL of people with babies. No one stayed seated, at least 5 people standing on us at any given time. Crew sympathetic, but we couldn't get any peace.

Insult to insult: the others in the row didn;t pay for their so-called "upgrade".

Return at JFK: the staff could not have cared less. The supervisor walked off while she was in mid-sentence.

The seats on Branson's pig-with-lipstik airlines are so small, you cannot sit normally forward if you are over, 6' tall.

Never again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

Ummm yeah, not really sure where to start.

If the flight was that full of people with babies, it wouldn't have mattered where you sat.

Did you know what these other people paid for their original ticket?

Would you have posted this if everyone remained seated for the entire flight from London to New York? Which is clearly a reasonable expectation.

And I don't think describing the attendants in that fashion has much to do with your seating. Not that it matters as I'm guessing you aren't going to respond to much here.

Edited: 10:43 am, May 06, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

You can sit in first class and still have young families.

Fifty pounds is about right for exit row/extra legroom seats - if the price was misheard (or mispronounced )

why on earth would you buy the seats, you could have easily changed your mind regardless of the reason ?

When you're on a plane you don't get to pick the people you travel with......just be thankful that you had an uneventful journey, landed safely - hopefully with all your baggage

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,717 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

"Embarrassed, so paid it."

And for this you want to somehow blame the airline?

Try this next time: "Sorry? I thought it was 15, not 50. Not interested, thanks".

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

You have turned a simple mishearing into a conspiracy and then lumped on every excuse you can to find fault.

Fifty pounds is the standard fee for those seats and has been for years. They dont need to deliberately mispronounce it to sell them.

And yes those exit row sets are a mixed bag, especially on night flights they are best avoided unless ou are rally tall.

As for babies, you could have been flying upper class and got some squalling ones next to you, that's just the luck of the draw.

Next time fly PE or Upper Class equivalent, or just put up with it.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,579 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

You could have just said that you had changed your mind!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

I've come to realise that any thread with "ripped off" in the title is nothing more than a pointless rant.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,950 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

I compiled this for the Bargain Travel forum, but I guess it's applicable here also...

1. Scam = "I didn't read the T&C.

2. I booked the wrong dates/flight = "Bait & Switch"

3. The flight was delayed = "Agents fault"

4. I paid for something I didn't understand = "Rip off"

5. I couldn't travel and they won't refund = "Con"

6. I booked with a company nobody has heard of and my holiday got messed up = "Everyone who replies on TA with an explanation must work for that company"

7. The customer service centre didn't have a native English speaker = "Not legit"

8. Beware/Don't Use/ Scam = "I don't understand"

9. Beware/Don't Use/Scam = "I'm not going to reply to any advice on the thread"

10. Horrible service = "I didn't get my way"

Edited: 11:55 am, May 06, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

As I said yesterday on another thread it would be great if TA would add an airline rant forum where we could keep them altogether as some of them are truley priceless.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

Lol, no7 very funny and very true.

Yes, I wish they could be archived for prosperity. We had not quite finished with the air India thread and someone pops along to the Qatar thread and complains they were harshly sent to jail for two days for making an obscene gesture to the cabin crew and wants to warn others not to do the same thing.

Seriously you could not make it up.

10. Re: LON > NYC Anyone else ripped off by Virgin for "upgrades"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 08, 2014