We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to chose best airline for my route

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to chose best airline for my route

I plan to fly around August 23 from Tel Aviv (TLV) to Santa Barbara (California) (SBA) for a month approx.

I have checked on-line with several airlines and the choices are very poor Either too many stops or the stop over between the stops is too long).

I would also like to avoid flying into LAX. I do not mind a stop-over in Europe.

Can anyone help me find the best way and quickest way to get from A to B without sitting in a crammed aircraft for too many hours?

I appreciate any help.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

You should check the best fares and schedule on the Matrix flight comparison website.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

Santa Barbara is a small airport with only a few connections. if you wish to avoid LAX then your only options are probably via Phoenix, Denver or San Francisco.

British Airways fly to all three of these airports so you could from Tel Aviv via London, and then get United Express or US AIr Express to SBA

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

I use http://www.kayak.com for this kind of research. SBA is not an international airport. So you'll have to connect in the US anyway. So TLV LAX SBA seems to be the best option. Now if you really want to avoid LAX, then follow fatbear2000 advice above. And try to book the whole trip on one ticket! It might be slightly more expensive (or not) but this would be the only way to make sure you won't loose one of the legs (if you fly via LHR for instance with different tickets and your first flight is delayed to an extent you'd miss the second one, on two tickets, you'd simply loose your second flight! On one single ticket, your connection would be guaranteed, even if it is on the next available flight).

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

Chrella, I am not sure but from a quick glance it seems that not all airlines are listed like Southwest or others? Or am I wrong and they would be if the destination was frequented by their air-crafts?

Thank you for your prompt answer.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

SWA doesn't fly to SBA. For a full list, check en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_Airport

P.S.: your question regarding SWA and http://matrix.itasoftware.com is a good one and remains open.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

Hi Swissdiver, I was hoping to fly with Swiss, but they are still in the "dark ages" you cannot look or find on-line any flights that need a connection within the USA. Very disappointing. I will try BA as both you and fatbear suggested.

Actually I was hoping to find a flight via New York, but no such option seems to b available on the search engines.

Edited: 6:30 am, May 06, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

SWA only lists their fares on there own website. You cannot see them listed anywhere else.

I used to have family in Santa Barbara and as I recall the only flights were to LAX or SFO. They always had to connect in one of those.

Edited: 6:50 am, May 06, 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

Hi Wes, things have changed, for instance there are direct flights from Denver to SBA.

Its about 40% more expensive than a one-stop-over flight but that means to fly with Lufthansa to Denver. I am also looking at the total hours from TLV till my destination, this is also an important factor.

Thanks for your input.

Edited: 7:51 am, May 06, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

Hi Betina,

Just made a dummy on swiss.com and got this:

08:00 TLV - 11:30 ZRH

LX 4221*

Operated by EL AL ISRAEL AIRLINES

13:10 ZRH - 16:45 LAX

LX 40

Operated by SWISS

19:04 LAX - 19:47 SBA

UA 5358

So may-be there is no availability on your day of choice.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help to chose best airline for my route

Just tried for August 23rd and got several possibilities including this one (TLV ZRH on LX is possible but then there is a long wait in ZRH):

07:10 TLV - 10:40 ZRH

LX 4221*

Operated by EL AL ISRAEL AIRLINES

13:05 ZRH - 16:15 SFO

LX 38

Operated by SWISS

19:05 SFO - 20:30 SBA

UA 5647