We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

Hello,

Recently I started a topic on the Maldives section of the forums. I am getting married in Feb 2014. We are preparing our honeymoon for March 2014. It was quickly decided that our honeymoon destination would be the Maldives.It would be perfect for both of us.

In 2009 my fiance had a serious car- accident which affects his daily routines in many ways. He needs my support and help most of the time. He's also taking various painkillers and opiates.

I heard that we needed some documentation for taking his medication with us on our travels. He cannot leave home without these his! So we got ourselves an English Medical Certificate from his physician which has already been legalized by foreign affairs and has been legalized by our local government. Do we need additional documentation or legalization before travelling to the Maldives?

I was shocked and upset by some topics on the forums where innocent travelers with just a doctors prescription were thrown into jail for a couple of months.They were traveling through Dubai and so are we. We have to change flights in Dubai and wait for our connection for a couple hours. We have no plans on going into Dubai or crossing the borders.

The information on the web is very unclear and I have to make sure we don't stumble upon any kind of trouble. We also tried to contact the maldives highcommission in the UK but until this day we have received no replies at all.

Please help us out!

Thank you!

Irene

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

I suggest you contact nearest UAE Embassy or consulate for clarification.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
650 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

Hallo Irene,

I will stick to English.

I had a client before flying to Dubai.

The forbidden-opiates-list is huge, and you can bet on it that your fiancé's medicine is on it.

Other than that, I have had discussions with Emirates and the Dubai consulate.

Emirates said he would need a doctor's letter stating that he needs the medication, but the consulate said that he would be arrested if he entered the country with them.

So, it depends on the airline (and the intermediate stop) as well.

There are charterflights to the maldives which means you only have to deal with Maldives regulations.

My advice would be to hand it over to a travel agent who knows how to deal with this IF you haven't booked yet (in which case i would recommend Disma on Aalsterweg 99, Eindhoven).

If you have...you better call the Dubai authorities or check this page:

dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGuide/DispForm.aspx…

It contains a downloadable PDF with a list of forbidden medicine.

If you need more help, PM me (in Dutch :-))

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

Thank you for your reactions. I sent a letter to the email which was included in the link that you gave me.

I hope they respond on our questions asap. Our Honeymoon should be something to look forward to.. Now it's only causing us a lot of stress, worries and frustrations.

We are still awaiting a message from the Maldives High commission... Somehow it feels a bit odd I don't think we are the first travelers going to the Maldives with medicines? Why is it so hard and unclear to find a workflow or to find out what to do?

Irene

Netherlands
Level Contributor
650 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

It is called 'government'.... :-(

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

I read that website and it's beyond me why ANY Westerner would choose to travel through, or even worse, actually visit the country. You might as well just ask to be arrested on landing, it's going to happen sooner or later. ;-)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

agree with #5.

change your plans.

go somewhere else with not such strict regulations.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

Just got off the phone with the UAE in the Netherlands

It seems like we almost completed the procedure for entering Dubai.

To avoid any delays while changing flights they advised us to legalize the document with the UAE

With this last stamp we won't get any delays because the medicines are already verified by the UAE.

There are 2 options for getting the final UAE legalization

Option 1 normal procedure: documents needs to be personally delivered to the UAE office. In 3 days the documents can be picked up again. Price: € 40,00

Option 2 speedy procedure: document needs to be personally delivered to the UAE office. The document will be legalized within the day: Price: € 60,00

They also told me the stamp will be valid for 1 year

After a little discussion with our travel-agent and my fiance we decided that we take the speedy procedure

We don't want to travel twice to the UAE office. On top of that if we would visit the UAE office early next year, we could have a discussion about the date when the other stamps were given.

We will ring the high commission of the Maldives tomorrow.. It seems like they don't answer any e-mails.

8. Re: Medicines (opiates) and traveling to Malé

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 08, 2014