We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

connection times at LAX

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
connection times at LAX

Is it possible or reasonable to make a connection from Boston to Lax landing 2:25 pm terminal 3 Virgin airlines to Westjet terminal 2 at 4:55 pm?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,778 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: connection times at LAX

Shouldn't be a problem but if these are separately ticketed flights I'd probably want a longer connection window just in case the first flight was delayed - missing the second flight on separate tickets means you lose that flight and any others on the ticket so the risk depends on the 2nd flight destination.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: connection times at LAX

It will be enough time if your arriving flight isn't late but book a through ticket just in case.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,763 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: connection times at LAX

I just want to repeat what post 1 said. If these were purchased as a separate ticket, you need more time as a contingency. You should have enough time, but if these are separate tickets and you miss the flight, airline #2 will cancel your ticket. They will not refund the money. And you will have to buy another ticket to your final destination. Plus if it was a round trip, they will cancel the return leg and you have to replace that as well. So missing that connection could be a very expensive mistake.

If you buy this as a combined ticket on one itinerary, then if you miss the connection the airline will put you on the next available flight. So your only risk is if flights are full, you might have to wait a while.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,750 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: connection times at LAX

If you are on separate tickets, remember you might not get your baggage checked-through so you would have to pick up your bags and go check-in again.

Between T3 and T2, the best way is to walk as they are just right next door.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: connection times at LAX

It's not just if your first flight is late, with only 2.5 hours between flights, either or both flights could be rescheduled by quite short times prior to the day, so that a connection is now impossible irrespective of how on time flights are on the day. People have reported that here.

Then, add in the current issue of very long immigration delays, 2 hours at JFK, not sure for LAX, and the fact that on separate flights you carry the financial risk of a miss, and the need to recheck baggage and reclear security, and its pretty clear than no, this is nowhere near enough time to allow even though on any one day you could be lucky.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: connection times at LAX

having done this a few times I would say 9/10 u will have enough time.

of course there are no immigration issues when flying in from boston so forget any inferred delays there.

as long as u realize the risk then why not go for it.

I have done domestic transfers in lax in half the time u have available..

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: connection times at LAX

>> Then, add in the current issue of very long immigration delays, 2 hours at JFK, not sure for LAX,<<

Forgive me Joe, but I dont think you have to do US immigration and customs on a flight arriving from Boston. :-)

(I presume the OP means Boston Logan)

If its a single through ticket them yes it's okay. If it's separate tickets then no it's not enough contingency.

And BOS-Y?? via LAX sounds mighty odd for a through ticket (I could of course be wrong).

Edited: 2:25 am, May 04, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: connection times at LAX

ok all thank you - yes they are separate tickets, first one already done deal. Will re sort as yes big risks from a lot of directions. Figured and yes may get lucky but expensive if lose so assume more time required.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: connection times at LAX

>> Figured and yes may get lucky but expensive if lose so assume more time required. <<

It's not just time, it's CONTINGENCY. Think "if the Virgin flight is badly delayed, canceled or rescheduled, how will I get to LAX in time for my onward flight"? And then book the onward flight based on that.

That could be allowing for a later flight into LAX as backup (I'd personally allow two of those). The safest thing to do (not a guarantee it'll work out fine but a much reduced risk) would be to overnight at LAX and book the onward flight the next day.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: connection times at LAX

Forgive me Joe, but I dont think you have to do US immigration and customs on a flight arriving from Boston. :-)

======

Ooops, I saw the OP was in Oz and boobed !

So, normally OK with that time difference, but still very little allowance for contingency from all the previously mentioned causes. I still wouldn't take it unless its a short haul cheap flight that wouldn't matter if you missed it.