We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending baggage home

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sending baggage home

I need to fly from the US (my home) to Canada and then on to Shanghai, and then back home to the States. I will need heavy outdoor cool weather clothes in Canada and then lightweight urban clothes in Shanghai. Is there any way to send my Canada clothes home so that I don't have to schlep them all the way to China and back? I am concerned about customs if I just try to ship them.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending baggage home

You should have no issue with customs, just identify it as personal clothing.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending baggage home

Why can't you just post your clothes home to the US from Canada, once you have finished with them, & heading off to China ?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending baggage home

I do this all the time. I am a chronic shopper and overpacker, and I always end up at the post office somewhere sending clothes I don't need back. In particular, those friendly folks at the Hong Kong airport post office and I are almost on a first name basis, haha :)

Wherever you are in the world, send it home. No problems with customs. The biggest problem may just be price. Send it by sea mail (ship) if you don't need them in a hurry, it's the cheapest option.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending baggage home

I agree with all the suggestions above.

There is a postal option here, and I'm sure they have similar elsewhere, called Surface Air Lifted. It's a halfway compromise between Airmail and Seamail. It's takes couple of weeks as opposed to months and really economically priced.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,620 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending baggage home

While Surface Air Lifted may still exist in other countries - it was canned by Australia Post pre 2008 !!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending baggage home

My apologies, clearly I haven't kept up to date with our local postal services.

OP, the below is a link of the US Postal Service equivalent -

https:/…

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending baggage home

Just don't ask the airline to ship it for you. Unaccompanied air freight costs much more than baggage that goes with you (as I found when I took my cats to an overseas assignment in Mozambique, and they had to transit South Africa, which required all animals to be shipped as unaccompanied air freight, whether or not you were on the same airplane). Check with the post office.

8. Re: Sending baggage home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 04, 2014