We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:41 am, May 30, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,574 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

Online travel sellers are just that: third party agents who make a booking on behalf of the person requesting it. The Tems and Conditions of ticket purchase are *not* set by any third party booking website, but by the airline(s) with which one books. Nonrefundable tickets may allow a refund of taxes and some fees, but for the most part nonrefundable means what it says.

In order to purchase on line, one must agree to the T&C. If one blindly agrees to those Terms and Conditions without reading them, then the buyer must deal with any fallout after the fact.

If you had not received a confirmation from Elumbus after having provided details, perhaps calling your credit card provider and putting a dispute on any charges from the company before booking other tickets would have been the wisest choice of action. A very unfortunate lesson (but perhaps more bearable for flights from GVA to MUC than GVA to, say, SYD), but one to take with you for the next online purchase.

2. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edited: 9:41 am, May 30, 2013
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
630 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

It is unclear to me what you think Lufthansa could have done, considering you didn't buy the ticket from them, and there is therefore quite a chance they never saw the money. Elumbus, whoever they are, charged your credit card, they should be the ones to refund you. And it's unfortunate, but why didn't you try to contact them about the problem before booking again somewhere else? Or checking to see if the charge went through on your credit card?

People here always say to book direct with the airline, and never through an online third party. This is another great proof. If someone on eBay sells you plane tickets for $50, would you also think it is the airline's responsibility to refund you if there was a problem?

If you never fly Lufthansa again, more room for the rest of us, but I would suggest you rather never book through an online third party instead.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,362 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

You have just learned a very harsh lesson, which is do NOT use third party online bookers, and book directly with the airline. What could been easier for a simple Geneva-Munich trip? Had you booked directly with Lufthansa you would have been able to contact them directly; no middleman required, and it would be a case of does Lufty have the money or not?

Even that notwithstanding, why did you immediately go ahead and book with (yet) another booker without calling the first one and checking whether or not your original transaction had gone through?

Edited: 3:41 pm, April 30, 2013
5. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

<<you can't tell me that you always book directly with airlines>>

I can. I do.

<<OK maybe you do but many of us use third party re-sellers...>>

Many of you end up making whiny posts here.

Call your credit card company.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,261 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

"price you pay for security I suppose"

Bingo. Dodgy 3rd party sites survive because there's a significant number of customers that make their booking decisions based on price alone. Lufthansa are not at fault here, when you book through an agent you need to deal with the agent if there's an issue.

I use 3rd party bookers from time to time though I stick to the one's I trust and I go in with full knowledge of the potential drawbacks.

Edited: 4:38 pm, April 30, 2013
8. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
23,032 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

" I do not buy their/your "only if you buy through us are we responsible for problems" attitude. Doesn't make sense from a customer service perspective."

By that logic every airline (and hotel for that matter) would be responsible for all the sales through every 3rd party - simply never going to happen without even taking the legal aspects into account.

Your problem lies with the 3rd party although I think you have to bear some of the responsibility by purchasing from another source without confirming that the original purchases had been processed - despite not getting a confirmation screen. Many online transactions that I make include a very specific warning on the buy screen not to press the pay/buy/purchase button more than once.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,362 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Lufthansa and Elumbus Travel Agent Ticket Nightmare--scam?

>> you can't tell me that you always book directly with airlines <<

OK, >>once<< in the last 10 years I've used a **full service** travel agent for a multi-destination, multi-airline itinerary. But for simple one ways or round trips, yes I always book direct with the airline, and I never use online bookers.

>> -if they are dodgy then why does Lufthansa deal with them? <<

They don't deal with them directly. Lufthansa - like the vast majority of airlines - post their fares on airline global distribution systems (GDS) so that all registered travel agents can pick them (from the major full service agents, corporate agents, small high street agents and dodgy online bookers). So, it's who YOU choose to book through that makes the difference, regardless of which airline you choose to fly.

Sorry you've ended up out of pocket, but it's your decision to (a) use an online booker, and then (b) use another booker without checking your transaction with the first one, that's landed you in this.

Edited: 5:29 pm, April 30, 2013