We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

Mumbai...
9 posts
Save Topic
Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

I never knew that an Airline service can be as pathetic as Spirit. Highly un-professional and un-courteous staff. Cheats of biggest order keeping the customers in disguise and charging hefty amount for check in and cabin baggage. No inclination or politeness towards the infant passengers. Worst Airlines I've experienced till date. Will always recommend people in US to avoid this horrible airlines.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,266 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

Lol - You could have had the same warning yourself if you had signed up for TA BEFORE you booked with them and read the many (many!) negative comments about them.

Although the part about "keeping customers in disguise" looks interesting...

Mumbai...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

Upon tyring to check in thru the kiosk we were diverted to the agent and upon reaching the agent first words uttered from her mouth were $10......Blankets and pillows on chargeable basis inside the cabin....And as a way of generating revenues dropped the temperature to an utter uncomfortable levels. Did not dare to use their restrooms....Swoooshhh - $50 could've been the pleasent words by the stewardess.....Dunno how are they managing to be operational with such horrifying services :((

Edited: 4:31 pm, April 29, 2013
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,357 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

You haven't really told us much. Why complain about baggage fees now? You were aware of those when you booked the ticket. To claim they keep the cabin cold to generate revenue is ridiculous. The $50 restroom comment is just silly and unnecessary as you and I and everyone else knows it's not true.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,903 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

That's Spirit. They make money by charging low fares, so people who are completely focused on just the lowest fare book them. Then there's fees for everything. It's a pretty effective business model as they're doing quite well I believe. If people would be willing to pay more for good service, companies like Spirit would not be able to succeed. But as long as people are focused on the lowest possible price to the exclusion of all else, there will always be companies like Spirit.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,450 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

Spirit will nickel and dime you for everything you live and you learn.

Edited: 7:36 pm, April 29, 2013
6. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:45 am, May 01, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,739 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

Siddharth, no one here works for Spirit Airlines.

Spirit are an ultra low cost airline. They don't try to sell themseslves as anything else, nor do they attempt to conceal the fees and service charges that pax may have to pay.

By doing a search for 'Spirit fees' I found this page (two clicks in total): http://www.spirit.com/optionalfees.aspx The information is available, but it is - as with any other airline or when doing business with any company - ultimately the responsibility of the customer or the consumer to seek out that information, so s/he can make an informed decision before agreeing the purchase.

You had what may have been an unpleasant experience, but it will ultimately be a good lesson to have learnt.

Mumbai...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

Let me put it straight, the optional fees is a disguise in itself.....Also, it is a personal experience deliberately being shared for the benfit of other flyers seeking options from different airlines....To put everything in right perspective I haven't even come across a page on facebook for any Airlines like the one for Spirit- BoycottSpiritAirlines - And they truely deserve it...

Choice is for the one's to choose or to disregard this poor airline...

Mumbai...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

I flew by United in the same sector and the experience wasn't bad at all....It was rather a pleasent one...Ofcourse @ same cost...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worst Airline Experience - Spirit Airlines

>> @hawkeyetough - You seem to be responding as a representative of Spirit.... <<

You're new here Siddharth. You'll quickly learn that accusing posters of working for the airline, just because you don't like what they say, is a rather stupid and sad thing to do.

Unfortunately, you didn't do any research on the airline beforehand. Had you done so, you would have seen dozens of threads that discuss their fees and charges. You can't just expect tea and sympathy by posting after the fact, especially when you embellish things and make other things up ($50 for the toilet, not even Mr. O'Leary has thought of charging that much).

But, that said, thanks for the post, and perhaps someone who does do their research beforehand will see it and will think again.

Edited: 12:18 am, April 30, 2013