We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

Previously our company has been using mainly star alliance, but for the past year or so, it has been more one world.

I enrolled British Airways Executive Club a bit over year ago, and quite soon got the Silver card (OneWorld Sapphire).

Now, the company policies got even tighter, and while having a ticket to Premium Economy on long haul flight, I tried to upgrade it to business. Btw, if you are in Economy, you can only upgrade to PE...

I have more than enough Avios, but my conclusion is now, they are pretty much useless....

2 days left for the flight, over 9 seat available, but...

There is no way to get your self upgraded before hand.

In fact, on the sector I tried to upgrade, you cannot find any Avios bookable flights for Business Class for the next 2 months. Didn't look further...

I also found out, that they require you to pay extra taxes in case of class upgrade!

The first time I faced that kind of deal.

I guess it is time to head back toward my old LH.... Or maybe they have gone with the flow also.

BAD....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

If you're flying Lufthansa you won't have a premium economy option so if you're forced to fly economy instead that's daft, if you can fly business class with Lufthansa instead (even if it is rubbish IMO) then that's far better than BA WT+.

Upgrading with BA isn't always available on all flights and it can be quite restrictive at times but it's never too bad for myself. I do find upgrading from Club World to First much easier than WT+ to Club World though.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

if you have paid for wt+, then there should be no increase in air passenger duty [tax] to upgrade to business. it is a source of continual annoyance that the government treats premium economy as 'business'. there may be a difference in fuel surcharges.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

there may be a difference in fuel surcharges.

_______

There is a difference in fuel surcharges between WT+ and CW

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

Well, I guess that is true then.

Just the first time I ever experienced that.

Have upgraded many times with LH, from E to B and also from B to F, and never been charged anything but the miles/points.

The main point still being, the avios are really for nothing. You can use them very very selectivly.

Just out of curiosity, I did a check with the route LHR-DFW.

Between now and end of September, there are 2 days, 2 days only, where you could book the biz class right away...

Edited: 2:45 pm, April 26, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

And from November onwards, it increases substantially. You need to book ahead. If that doesn't work for you, then obviously you need a scheme where there is limitless availability. That would be NoSuch Airlines.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

The limitless availability is not the case.

The case is that there is no practicable availability for flights OR upgrades at all.

It isas if your favorite lunch restaurant would advertise, every 10th lunch on us!

And when you show up for the 10th time to get that free lunch, they tell you " sorry, we don't have that kind of lunches available until November. Yes, there are lunches and free tables, but not for you, sorry"... :-)

There ain't such a thing as a free lunch, I know....

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,592 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

Availability is what it is. If you can never the get the flights you want then the BAEC obviously isn't for you. I've usually got no problem using my points and find the programme far from useless but it depends on the routes you are looking at, how flexible you are and how far in advance you can book.

Edited: 8:55 am, April 27, 2013
8. Re: Is the BA Executive Club really this bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 29, 2014