We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can i take food to australiA

Jaipur, India
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
can i take food to australiA

can i take food to australiA i am traveling to austraia from india through singapore by qantas

i want to take the food in the luggage not in the luggage so pleas inform me

210 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can i take food to australiA

Here is the link to a website run by the Aust Government about taking things and not taking things into Australia:

daff.gov.au/aqis/…cant-take

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can i take food to australiA

Basically yes. But ALL food items need to be declared to Quarantine (with the risk of being confiscated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can i take food to australiA

Make sure you declare any food that you are carrying. This way the worst thing that can happen is that any food that fails to meet the guidelines will be confiscated. If you do not declare it will still get confiscated, and you will be fined as well.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,908 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can i take food to australiA

I am extremely sure that anything with seeds or meat will not be allowed.

Dried goods like biscuits are usually ok.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can i take food to australiA

you can bring as much food as you like.

but be aware that u have to declare it and run the risk of losing items that are prohibited imports.

if u dont declare it and it is found......and it will be by the sniffer dogs and bio xray, then not only will u lose prohibited items u will be fined heavily as well.

and really i dont know what u want to bring into the country that u cant get here.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can i take food to australiA

I've declared things like Japanese sweets before, and as they were sealed and commercially packaged, they didn't at all care (didn't even want to see them) and I was on my way.

As long as it's packaged with a label they seem to be able to quickly tell you if it's allowed in, and as sammy said, don;t even think about bringing anything like meat in.

Your flight will probably have a video before landing about what you can and can't bring in -- just like southeast asian countries make their drug trafficking laws very well known before landing, so too does Australian quarantine.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can i take food to australiA

before you travel, please post on the destination forum for the area you are visiting. i am guessing you wish to bring food either to save money, or, more likely, because of dietry restrictions for religious reasons.

there may be someone on the destination forum who can help with sourcing [for instance] foods suitable for a jain diet.

whatever you decide, be absolutely truthful and accurate in filling out the declaration form you are given. the penalties for not declaration of foodstuffs are huge.

pam

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can i take food to australiA

Anything that can be sprouted or planted or grown is generally not allowed....lentils for example. Also meat products and herbs. We had friend bring us puy lentils years ago because they were hugely expensive here and they were confiscated! We always bring tea back (don't ask, I know there is tea in Australia, tell my husband....) I was also allowed some dried porcini mushrooms last year. They looked up and said they were fine . Main thing is they were declared.

Edited: 3:54 am, April 24, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,843 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: can i take food to australiA

we have a great TV programme on cable here in the UK all about the Australian Customs and Quarantine service.They are exrtemly strict and vigilant on food and plant items coming into the country,any thing raw is a no no, any milk product processed or otherwise are not allowed, no honey, no bird products, no plants without a special license basically no fooduanless it has been cooked and package properly and even then they are very strict on what is allowed.As others have said you MUST declare any food items and even then your are no guaranteeed they will be allowed into the country.

I just would not bother taking food into the country.

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
933 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can i take food to australiA

@mihir j..... we have Indian Supermarkets galore here. No need to bring in food

Reply to: can i take food to australiA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted