We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
577 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

Hi all.

My wife and I (mid 20's) will be travelling to Hawaii in October and are looking for a flight with United Airlines. A longer flight from New York to Honolulu (10hr40) in a 767-400ER seems interesting, and I saw there were seats called "Economy Plus".

I'm just wondering 2 things :

1) Is the 5" extra legroom really noticeable (sorry I never took the time to compare legroom in our previous travels so I don't know what it really means)?

2) How much (approx.) is the premium we have to pay (Can't see it on the UA website unless I proceed with the booking)?

Thanks.

Aero.

87 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

1) Is the 5" extra legroom really noticeable

======

After 10 hours? You betcha ! Its not just the extra legroom, it also means that when the person in front leans their seat back, its far less in your face.

You can surely work out the cost by starting a booking but not going all the way through? I would guess it would be around $150 each way.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6273176…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

Yes it's totally worth it. You can bend down and access your bag under the seat in front without being a contortionist, as well as the seat in front recline as Joe mentions.

You can see the cost by doing a dummy booking and taking it all the way to seat selection. Hover the cursor over the E+ seats to see the prices. Prices do vary by convenience; the exit row is more expensive than a normal E+ window seat, while middle seats are the cheapest.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

Yes, the Plus is totally worth it. We book it from SFO to Hawaii, which isn't that long a hop.

On another tangent, I saw your other posts regarding flights and connections, etc. Have you considered Hawaiian Airlines? You can leave from Burlington, VT and connect through New York (Jet Blue is airline connecting).

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

For that long a flight, it is absolutely worth it.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,877 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

The expanded coach seating by many carriers has been a real plus. I primarily fly DL now and use it all the time. I did have a UA flight last night and was really impressed with the E+ seating. I would consider it a no brainer. I don't know UA's prices but would be surprised if it were $150 each way. If you have certain Mileage Plus status with UA you'll also get a discount.

Have fun.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

It's worth it enough that I am paying $800 for two meaningless trips (aka Mileage Run or MR for short) this year and 17,000 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) in order to maintain my Premier Gold status and access to E+ among other things. That's a much better deal than the extra miles that they try to sell you online. A little bit further to the Million Miler mark, and these perks should be for life.

UA had a great deal on April 9, where I shelled out $200 on a SFO-EWR flight with return the same day for 5300 miles. And then I snatched a promotional of $600 to go SFO-EWR-Puerto Rico round-trip for 8300 with a 50% bonus of 4150 more PQM. I'll be in Puerto Rico from about 00:44am to 01:55am and step back into the plane to return. Business travel spoiled me into this situation for years and I now realize the complete claustrophobic pain that occasional travellers must endure. IMO, it is inhumane. My wife reminds me that it's worth having me keep our nice little perks.

Edited: 3:53 pm, April 22, 2013
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,989 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

$150 each way? wow. That's $600 for two. My $800 investment is quickly paying itself off. Wife is right again. :-)

Edited: 3:57 pm, April 22, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,926 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

OK, I've just tried a dummy booking. Assuming you're planning to fly EWR-HNL, the E+ seats range from $87 for a middle, $109 for a standard window or aisle, $103 for the middle bulkhead/exit, and $139 for the window/aisle exit row. That's each way on the long haul bit only.

Still definitely worth your mileage run Darth. :-)

And re .... >> If you have certain Mileage Plus status with UA you'll also get a discount.<< .... The way it works with United is that if you're Silver (25k miles) you pay full price for E+, but can select any remaining E+ seats at T-24hr check in for free, and for Gold (50k miles) and higher you get E+ for free at booking.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?

I'm short --5'2" -- and I consider E+ totally worth it. I would pay even more (if necessary).

It means the difference between being in agony most of the trip vs. being somewhat uncomfortable (due to still being pretty much upright).

Reply to: United Airlines - Is Economy Plus worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted