We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration questions for visiting family with infant

3 posts
Save Topic
Immigration questions for visiting family with infant

My husbands grandfather is passing away, and has less than 6 months. We were sorting out his visa here in the U.S, but due to this incident he wants to be with his family while his grandfather passes away and we'll sort out the visa after. We (our 6 week old and I) are traveling with him back to England so his grandfather can meet our baby before he passes away. We are only going for 2 weeks as I have a job I have to come back to, and our home to pay for. My husband is a UK citizen but I'm a US citizen and our son was born in the US, so our son and I are going through US & Other Immigration while my husband goes through UK immigration. I'm always quite nervous about immigration as when I traveled there when I was younger they always seemed very strict and crucial. Is there anything that I will need to provide immigration with other than my son and my passport? I plan on showing them our return ticket so they know that we are in fact leaving the country in 2 weeks, but I'm not sure how strict they are when it comes to entering the country with an infant. My husband will already be through immigration once we are, will they ask if my sons father traveled with us? Or do I need any documentation stating that he is in the airport waiting for us? Any help would be great, as I'm quite the worry wart and would hate to be put under any stress while carrying a 6 week old who will probably be crying! Haha. Thank you.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration questions for visiting family with infant

if u r that nervous your husband should go thru the 'other' immigration gate with u.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration questions for visiting family with infant

My best wishes to your family at this time.

Okay, first thing is, if you haven't already applied for one, your son will need a passport to travel, however young he may be. So if you haven't yet applied for one you need to get moving on that. The USPS offers an expidited service if necessary for an additional fee.

Secondly, if you, your husband and son are traveling on the same flights, your husband can go through the non-UK/EU passport channel with you. I did that at Heathrow (on my UK passport) when traveling with American friends before I naturalized to US citizenship. So in that case you won't need a parental consent to travel letter (a copy of your son's birth certificate may be useful as identifying you as the parents, but perhaps overkill).

If you're traveling on separate flights then yes, a notarized parental consent letter is advisable.

Good luck.

3. Re: Immigration questions for visiting family with infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 23, 2014