We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

colchester
Level Contributor
598 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

Hi, we are debating whether to do an online / mobile check in or wait until we are at the airport?

We are flying from LHR to BKK.

This is probably an obvious question, but it will be our first time long haul so we are a bit unsure.....

On the Thai Airways website it says you can amend your online check in, we assume then that you can access it later. So, will we be able to print off boarding passes at a another time from a different computer (we do not have a printer at home) or perhaps they email the boarding passes?

Alternatively, how does the mobile option work? I have downloaded the Thai Touch app on to my ipad, but don't have a clue what happens then or how to use it.

There will be 2 people on one booking. We are travelling via Heathrow Terminal 3, which we understand can be notoriously slow through security, therefore, we would prefer to do a prior check in.

Thank you.

colchester
Level Contributor
598 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

Hi again .... I have read this on the Thai Airways website FAQ about check in but I'm confused ....

Q "What about my boarding pass and baggage, if I fly with THAI International flight?"

A "Currently, you are able to print your own boarding pass at home on A4 size paper, one connecting flight in same booking code is enabling.

Passengers who hold paper tickets or e-tickets purchased via web or telephone sale is inhibited.

There are 33 destinations where home print boarding pass is inhibited, due to security alerts."

One of the inhibited destinations is LHR.

We have booked through Travelbag and have an e-ticket.

Can anyone tell me if we can or cannot check in on line and whether we have to print our own boarding passes?

Cheers

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

If it were me I'd try to check-in online. The worst that can happen is that the 'system' won't let you and you then have to check-in at the airport. Don't worry about not being able to print boarding passes - this has happened to me with other airlines and they are issued at the airport even if you have checked in online.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

Hi,

"Alternatively, how does the mobile option work? I have downloaded the Thai Touch app on to my ipad, but don't have a clue what happens then or how to use it."

==> IF your flight sector is eligible, when you complete the mobile app check-in, which is driven by your PNR, you'll get a 2D bar code back that you then use as your BP. It would be in lieu of the traditional paper BP.

Mobile check-in is most often used domestically, as many foreign stations don't yet recognize or permit it (remember in some countries, your paper BP is used by Immigration and/or stamped by officials, this the need for a physical BP) to be used just yet.

If you've used it and you have bags, you go to the bag drop desk, show your 2D code and get your bags tagged. If no bags you go right to the security access point and airside

I've used it when I've traveled on TG (Thai permits a positive space non-revenue passengers to use it) and if works fine,. Essentially just like the desktop version..

It's pretty straight forward in terms of what a mobile app allows for.

Travel Safe,

colchester
Level Contributor
598 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

Hi Numbat ...... thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right, I will try that..... I don't know why I'm worrying so !

Cheers

colchester
Level Contributor
598 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

Gopbi, thank you for explaining the mobile app. I had no idea certain countries use the boarding pass for official purposes.

I think I will just try online check in and get boarding pass at the airport; I have prebooked our seats so thats ok - I am just a little concerned about the time taken to get through security at LHR Terminal 3 but we will be sure to arrive in good time.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

You should NEVER wait until the airport to check in unless you have no choice. For numerous reasons, immediate ones that spring to mind;

Most likely to be bumped.

Possibly insufficient time to fix a problem if its only detected at the airport, likely to be fewer resources for you, eg access to phones, email etc.

Worse choice of seats.

No doubt others.

7. Re: Online or Mobile Check in - Thai Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 24, 2014