We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA flight cancellations

London
3 posts
Save Topic
BA flight cancellations

BA cancelled my flight home from Jo'burg and forced me to stay an extra night with no offer of a hotel or a penny of compensation. Trailfinders who booked my tickets didn't offer any help either except to rebook the ticket. This happened 2hrs before I left for the airport. BA LHR said talk to BA in Jo'burg. 2 desks at Jo'burg said complain thought BA.com. What compensation am I entitled to and from whom? What a sorry state air travel has come to. I'm not flying BA again. This is not an infrequent occurrence in S. Africa.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA flight cancellations

Search for EU261 in here (and on the web). I think you will be due a considerable sum of money.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA flight cancellations

I wasn't aware that flight cancellations were a recent phenomena. Anyway, send a letter with a receipt for the extra night at a hotel to:

British Airways Customer Relations

PO Box 5619

Sudbury

Suffolk

CO10 2PG

If you have receipts for food expenses send those as well (take copies if you send originals). Include your bank details (bank, account-number, branch code, etc). Briefly explain that you were booked on flight X on day Y which was cancelled and that you are asking for reimbursement of the expenses you incurred as a result.

Whether you are entitled to cash compensation depends on the reason for the cancellation. In any case, I would deal with that seperately.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BA flight cancellations

So I complained to BA.com and got offered a £30 voucher against a further BA flight. They quoted operational reasons as a reason for the cancellation and subsequently put on 3 flights the following day (not that I was told that at the time). I think everyone was on the first flight - absolutely packed and stinking hot till the pilot turned the temperature right down and we shivered.

Am pursuing my claim - it's only £105 but it's the principle.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA flight cancellations

What Joe says. The information below covers all you need to know about (a) duty of care, and (b) compensation for either a delay or cancellation, and how to file a claim. You should be entitled to €600 cash compensation, plus accommodation.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

airpassengerrights.eu/en/flight-delay.html

…europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

…europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

5. Re: BA flight cancellations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 10, 2014