We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

In June 2012, I booked a roundtrip flight from HongKong - Clark (Philippines)- HongKong with Tiger Airways. Paid with Visa and e-ticket was issued immediately.

In October I received an email notifying me that flight times had changed, and it was now apparent that my return flight would no longer let me connect with my HongKong to London flight on Cathay Pacific.

I called Tiger and they said 'NO REFUNDS', so I went to Visa and explained the situation. Following that I received an email from Tiger saying that as a 'Goodwil Gesture' they would allow me a credit refund of HKD1579 and I had to make a new booking prior to 29th April 2013

I have tried twice to make a new booking and each time Tiger have told me that the Password Code that I have tried to use is not valid. This is the Password code that they sent me in their refund letter.

They also do not reply to emails sent either via their website or to the email address that I was given last year. So have to assume that their refund letter was just a delaying tactic to put me over Visas refund deadline

I am now too late to proceed further with a refund via Visa, although I will write to them again.

So a word of advice....If there is an alternative to Tiger/Seair then use it

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,214 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

5.1 Reservation Requirements:

The booking of a Seat is confirmed after full payment of the fare is made and after we issue you a Booking Confirmation. Once confirmed, the booking cannot be cancelled and payments made are not refundable, except as provided in these Terms and Conditions.

5.9 Fare Non-refundable:

Fares are not refundable at all times unless otherwise specified in these Terms and Conditions. Passengers who purchase tickets on domestic services within the Philippines are eligible to apply for refunds, if the following criteria is met:

10.2 Cancellation, Changes Of Schedules:

At any time after a booking has been made we may change our schedules and/or cancel, terminate, divert, postpone, reschedule or delay any flight where we reasonably consider this to be justified by circumstances beyond our control or for reasons of safety or commercial reasons. In the event of such flight cancellation or changes to the schedule so as to depart more than four (4) hours before or after the scheduled departure time, the Passenger may elect, either:

To be carried at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charge and, where necessary, extend the validity of your booking; or

To retain the value of your fare in a credit account for your future travel provided you re-book within six (6) months there from; or

To receive a refund in accordance with these Terms & Conditions.

Article 11: Refunds

11.1 General:

There shall be no refund whatsoever except in the circumstances as provided herein.

11.2 Taxes:

If after having made a reservation you do not fly with us, whether or not a refund of the fare is payable, you will be entitled to claim a refund of any taxes advised to you and payable by you, which as a consequence we have no obligation to pay to any government or other authority. We reserve the right to deduct an administration fee, from any such refund where you fail to fly with us despite a flight being available.

11.3 Proper Person/Mode Of Refund:

In the event that we make a refund, it shall be made in the same mode of payment as was originally made and to the person who paid for the booking, upon presentation of identification and satisfactory proof of such payment.

I guess your eligibility for refund hinges on whether or not the new flight time was more than four hours before or after the original flight time. If it was not, you could apply to be refunded the taxes, but I suspect the admin fee would swallow up most of them.

Have you considered telephoning and speaking to someone directly? For the chance of redeeming over 1579HKD I'd stump up for a long distance call.

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

Yes I have called three times and each time I have been told that the credit refund reference number (Password) that I have is invalid. Last time (Thursday) I was put on hold whilst the customer service (sic) rep went to speak to a supervisor and after 25 minutes on hold, I was cut off. I was using a local phone card service, so the call cost was manageable

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

Hi,

I'm not sure what the actual situation is, however I suggest you elevate this to Southeast Asian Airlines (SEAIR) lead Customer Service officer to see exactly what's what here..

His name is Ivan Carandang

You can reach him as well as any SEAIR operational people at their home office:

Unit 404, La' O Centre, 1000 Araniz Blvd., Makati City, NCR

Also do remember that SEAIR is a different entity than Tiger. While Tiger (via the parent holding conlny) does own a minority stake in SEAIR, and SEAIR uses the Tiger website for passenger bookings; they are a Philippine carrier and would fall under Philippine law for most of operational matters.

Travel Safe,

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

Sorry to hear about your problems,but for future reference,never book tight connections on 2 separate tickets.This is a very common theme.

Good luck with your refund.

Manila, Philippines
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

Good Day... Can we get your contact details and your complete name? Please send to icarandang@flyseair .com.

Thank you...

6. Re: Tiger Airways/SEAIR refund scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 23, 2014