We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Dear Experts,

I am currently holding a valid US visa which has a validity till Sep 19' 2013. I have plans to fly from

New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines) in June this year. There is connection in London not more than 4 hours.

VA agents are not sure if I need Transit Visa. They redirect me to UK visa website but website is making me so confuse now.

Do I really need a transit visa?

Please suggest so that I can take necessary action in due time.

Regards,

~Rohit

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

You should contact UK High Commission in Delhi.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Agreed.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

I believe you need to apply for a direct airside transit visa as India is on the "List" of countries you must NOT be from to NOT need a transit visa. This is how the website presents it! Basically, if your country is on the list, you need a visa.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

In any case as the others have said contact the UK High Cpmmission in Delhi but I find it strange that Virgin Atlantic don't know this maybe contact them again as sometimes it depends who you talk to.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Acutally I called VA office both in USA and India. The agents in India says that I dont require a transit visa as the ultimate destination is USA with a Valid US visa and is within 24 hours and Terminal for both flights are same (Terminal 2 for VA and Terminal 5 for BA). But they again suggested me to get in touch with UK high commission for surety as at times there is a possibility of last minute change in Gates. Then I called US VA call center but they denied giving any suggestions/information on Transit Visa issue saying they are not authorized.

I have just sent an email to VFS global services call center who take such queries for British High commission on Visa issues explaining them the situation. I will share the directions from them so that it would help others as well.

I got an automated response from them mentioning that hey would get back to me in 3 working days.

Regards,

~Rohit Jain

Edited: 12:23 pm, April 14, 2013
Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Just to let you know VA use Terminal 3 at LHR.

Terminal 2 has been demolished and is being rebuilt.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Hi , As per UK high commision, no transit visa is required.

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

I have the same flight tomorrow! I was paranoid about it but confirmed from VFS & VA that I do not need a transit visa since my ticket is confirmed and I have a multi-entry valid US visa.

Adding to the above, please see the below details taken from …homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/…

You can transit the UK airside without a visa if: You are a DATV national and qualify for the DATV exemption under the 'transit without visa' concession (details below)

INDIA COMES UNDER DATV.

If you are a national of a country covered by the DATV system, you may be able to transit the UK airside without a visa. To qualify for this exemption:

you must arrive and depart by air; and

your onward flight must be confirmed, and must depart within 24 hours; and

you have proper documentation for your destination, including a visa if necessary.

Additionally, you must hold:

1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey to or from one of those countries;

OR

2) a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, if you are transiting the UK no more than 6 months after the date when you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA with a valid entry visa for that country;

OR

3) a valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998;

OR

4) an expired I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998, accompanied by an I-797 extension letter issued by the Bureau of Citizenship;

OR

5) a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002;

OR

6) a valid Australian or New Zealand residence visa;

OR

7) a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA);

OR

8) a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002;

OR

9) a valid UK residence card;

OR

10) a valid EEA family permit issued by the UK government;

OR

11) a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People's Republic of China;

OR

12) a diplomatic or official passport issued by India;

OR

13) a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Thanks for your response. .I have already traveled on june 16th. No transit visa were asked..

New Delhi, India
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Delhi to Newark via London (Virgin Atlantic airlines).

Oh great! Now I can fly out in peace tomorrow :-)