We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

manchester airport trainstation

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Topic
manchester airport trainstation

hi all

looking at booking train tickets to get home after my holiday. my flight lands at 6.15 (barring any delays) and the train leaves at 7.35.

do you think this is enought time to get off the plane, grab my bag and go to the trainstation?

thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: manchester airport trainstation

If the tickets are for the 7.35 train only it might be tight if you have children/lots of bags to manage - when is the next train and would the tickets be valid for that train.

From touchdown to exiting the airport normally takes me around 45 mins taking account of taxi time to the gate, deplaning etc so you might be ok if you can get to the station quickly.

uk
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: manchester airport trainstation

It is doable but you don't say where you're travelling from, if you have checked luggage and which terminal you arrive into but you really don't allow any wiggle room. I live ten minutes drive from Manchester airport and pass through on a weekly basis, I'm usually always home in less than an hour of landing, less if I have carry on only, so yes, you could make the train but as you say, any delay and you're out of luck.

Generally it takes 10 minutes from landing to taxi to the stand then upto another 10 minutes to deplane, depending on where you are sitting, walk through the terminal and queue for immigration. Depending on which arrivals you coincide with the queue for immigration can be huge. Baggage reclaim is usually very efficient at Manchester airport but does add some time, last week we were waiting 20 minutes, but this is unusual . You then have to walk to the train station, it is quite a hike from T2.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: manchester airport trainstation

thanks for the answers

im flying in from punta cana to terminal 2 (thomson flight). plane is scheduled to land at 6.15, but again could be delayed. going off your answers i may opt for a 8.30 train. tickets will be bought this evening but i am weighing up my options

thanks for your help

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: manchester airport trainstation

Far better to take the 8.30am train. I would imagine your train tickets only allow you to travel on the stated train, so far better to select the later train. That's what I have done in the past when flying in from a caribbean destination.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,983 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: manchester airport trainstation

I'd book it - TP trains have an easement for travel from the airport which allows you to travel on a later train if your incoming flight is late or you have some other problem

Read up on it here

tpexpress.co.uk/campaigns/manchester-airport/

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: manchester airport trainstation

you are 100% correct - they only allow travel on the specified train

8.30 it is

thanks everyone

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,282 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: manchester airport trainstation

See link in post #5 from Alan. you can book the earlier train and still get the next if you are delayed.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
102,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: manchester airport trainstation

However it is important that should your flight be delayed, please ensure that you obtain documentation from your airline that this is the case.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: manchester airport trainstation

yeah just read it - need to have the ticket endorsed first though

good answers

thanks everyone

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: manchester airport trainstation

My in laws landed an hour late with Thomson last December, they didnt have any proof off the airline but the station staff confirmed it in the booking office allowed them to travel no problems.