We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration Queues at JFK

UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Topic
Immigration Queues at JFK

I shall be ariving at JFK terminal 7 by BA next week. Can anyone please give me a rough idea of the length of time to expect to clear immigration. Arrival day is Thursday and arrival time 12.30 pm.

3 years ago in Terminal 8 it took over 2 hours and the congestion was incredible.

David.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Immigration Queues at JFK

Unless you are on BA001 or BA003 which pre-clear immigration at Shannon it is indeed a lottery.

Only BA001 preclears now.Due to a cut in the hours of pre-clearance at SNN,BA003 clears at JFK.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,346 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Immigration Queues at JFK

I am sure #9 meant just immigration, not customs although these two tend to get lumped together by accident.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Immigration Queues at JFK

As per other posts, the key advice is to get off the plane as quickly as possible and walk briskly to the immigration line. This can make the difference between getting through in eg 45 mins and 60 to even 90. So don't tarry!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Immigration Queues at JFK

I've also experienced, at various airports, zipping through Immigration and then having to wait for my bags. Customs is usually just a matter of handing over a form you filled out on board the flight and had initialed at Immigration, but if you're unlucky enough to be pulled aside for a secondary inspection, the time required could be long. I haven't had a detailed inspection at U.S. Customs since 1982, when, coming back from Nepal and Hong Kong, the inspector at SEA had me unscrew my flashlight back, etc.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,346 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Immigration Queues at JFK

Unless you are carrying a lot of baggage or looking suspicious. chances of you getting inspected further at customs is quite slim. Even if you get inspected, assuming you have declared everything properly, and that you answer your questions confidently, it usually doesn't take a long time. I frequently carry commercial samples (not for sale) so I always have my documents ready. Even if customs open my boxes, it's never been a process that took more than 10 minutes.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Immigration Queues at JFK

#15: whew. Boxes. At first glance I thought you wrote "boxers."

17. Re: Immigration Queues at JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2014