We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing airlines in transit in Bangkok

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Changing airlines in transit in Bangkok

My apologies if my question seems obvious, but I cant seem to find a clear answer for this.

I am looking to fly from Luang Prabang to Colombo. The first leg, Luang Prabang to Bangkok is on Lao Aviation, and then Bangkok to Colombo on Sri Lankan Airlines.

How do I find out whether I have to get out and collect my luggage and then checkin for the SriLankan flight in Bangkok or whether I will checkin in Luang Prabang for my entire journey and just transit through Bangkok?

If I am being sold a ticket, Luang Prabang-Colombo, should I just assume that I will not need to checkin again in Bangkok?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,466 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing airlines in transit in Bangkok

Hi,

Yes... IF the ticket is in fact sold as one LPQ-CMB ticket and NOT as a LPQ-BKK (v.v. if applicable) and then another seperate BKK-CMB (v.v. if applicable) then the two carriers have the necessary interline agreements in place to facilitate both ticking and baggage issues..

(Note: there are some limited cases where carriers have ticketing but not baggage interline agreements in place, but that is not common. Additionally, there can be cases where either the airports physical set-up or governmental/security rules require a passenger to reclaim and/or declare their baggage at and otherwise enroute connection point)

You may not be able to get a physical boarding pass in LPQ for your BKK-CMB sector, but that can (and must) be obtained in BKK before you clear the international-to-international connections prices.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 10:51 pm, April 07, 2013
London
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing airlines in transit in Bangkok

Thank you! Ill try and find out from the airlines, as I would need a visa if I need to come out and checkin again.

3. Re: Changing airlines in transit in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 10, 2014