We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

Los Angeles
7 posts
Save Topic
London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

I am looking at prices for one way tickets from London to Los Angeles for this coming August. How far in advance should I purchase these tickets? The cheapest on Kayak right now is through Turkish Airlines around $750-$850, but it has a stop in Istanbul. No other airline really comes close to this price ($1000-plus). I was wondering if this a deal to jump on or if other airlines' prices will come down. When would be the best time to purchase these tickets? I suppose I could also fly out of Paris, but I'm guessing London would generally be the cheaper ticket.

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

August is a peak travelling month, so the chance that flights will get cheaper are bleak.

You can check prices at http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ but book direct with the airline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

Hmm. I know people will shout at me for this, but check the price of the return tickets. You might find them cheaper than a single.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

Have you checked the schedule for the TK flights? It sounds like a long way round to me.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

You may also wish to consider Dublin as your Transatlantic start off point-just had a quick look on skyscanner and Aer Lingus have flights to LAX via JFK for August starting at $715

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

Aer Lingus/Virgin are showing flights for the end of August at only $530 from Dublin to LAX via LHR-pain in the butt having to go back to London but worth it at that price!!!

Los Angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

Thank you all for the advice. I guess I should've provided some more background. I'm looking for tickets for two and we're flying to Europe on frequent flyer miles. So far, it appears that flying back from London to Los Angeles would be the most economical route based on the cost for the entire trip.

Re Numbat: Going through Istanbul has us leaving London at 22:30 arriving in Istanbaul at 4:30 and departing for Los Angeles at 12:45. The only reason I find it bearable is that I have a good friend in Istanbul who could meet us there. The only problem is they might be in Los Angeles at that time.

Re 289jumper: Couldn't find those rates from Dublin, but thanks for the advice and I will be on the lookout for that route as well.

Thank you again for your posts thus far. I let you know what I find.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

Instead of 2 1 way tickets using frequent flyer miles,and 2 paid 1 way tickest,(which often tend to be expensive in europe),have you considered 1 round trip using miles,and 1 paid round trip.That may work out better.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

CG D

Just checked skyscanner site and they are still there-if you look at all DUB- LAX one way flights for the whole of August you will see the prices

Los Angeles
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

Thanks everyone for all your help. Flying through DUB had a lot of great options, but found a great price flying out of Paris-BOS-LAX on the date that we needed ended up being cheapest. Thanks again!

10. Re: London (or Paris) to Los Angeles Airfare in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 29, 2014