We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd air fare differences in the same route

Wootton Bassett...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Odd air fare differences in the same route

I am trying to book flights in the London-Miami-Grand Cayman route in January 2014 and finding some inexplicable differences in the fare by taking a slightly later return flight from Miami to London. I don't know whether this is just temporary or unlikely to change.

I have to go via Miami because I am stopping there on the return leg to visit the Everglades.

I am booking through British Airways / American Airlines codeshare system. The Virgin flight times will not suit me.

The first 3 flights ie Heathrow to Miami, Miami to Grand Cayman and Grand Cayman to Miami are not a problem and I am getting competitive fares for the times that suit me. The problem is for the final leg - London to Miami. Ideally, the 22:50 return flight suits me best but this is £230 (around $380) more expensive than the flight that leaves at 20:45, just over 2 hours before, if I book though BA. If I try the same combo through the AA website, the 22:50 flight is £400 (about $610) more expensive than the 20:45 flight!

All fares include all taxes and surcharges. I checked.

This is not a new developemnt because this difference was there 6 weeks ago when the fares had just come out..

My situation is that the 2-hour difference will help me to do an additional activity in the Everglades before starting for the airport. Therefore, the 22:50 flight really suits me better than the 20:45 one. Is the later flight likely to drop in price if I wait or should I go ahread and book now?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

It's hard enough to predict if fares around a certain time of year will go up or down, it's practically impossible to say if a specific fare on a specific day will go up or down. Probably there are others like you that want to spend as much time away as possible, making the later flight more expensive.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

This is not that uncommon. You commented that the more expensive flight is more desirable to you than the cheaper one - I am guessing that others feel the same way, demand has been greater, so the cheaper buckets have already been sold for those flights.

It's never possible to reliably predict what the prices are going to do, but my wild guess would be that the pattern you see is common, and won't change. If you want to test it, try comparing those same to flights on different days, and see if there is always that difference between the two times.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

You can chance it and wait but as Lex says, no guarantees.

Personally I would not risk it and would weigh up the £400 saving against the extra activity and ask myself if it is worth it. No doubt others may disagree.

Whatever happens when you do book, don't look back at the prices afterwards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

Agree with the previous two posts, it's as simple as the later flight has a higher demand so can commend higher prices. It's unlikely to change, but no one knows for sure. Only you can decide if the price difference is worth the extra time,

My personal experience is the closer it gets to flight time, the higher the price gets.

Wootton Bassett...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

Thanks people. Thinking about it, you have a point. I am talking about January in Miami and the Everglades - High Season. My plan was to check out of my motel in Homestead after breakfast and spend rest of the day in the Everglades Park. Having checked-in for the flight on-line the previous night, I planned to finish at the park by 6pm but now I'll have to start out for the airport no later than 4:30pm to allow me to drive in the traffic, return the car and take the MIA mover to the flight terminal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

Based on what I read currently about the time taken to get through security at Miami you might consider going their straight after breakfast.....

Wootton Bassett...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

I know what you mean. Although I have not been through Miami International Airport recently, I have been through the busier Atlanta airport a few times and know about the queues for security. But as long as I have checked-in on-line, dropped off my bags at the counter and collected the boarding pass well within the stipulated time, I would have done my part. The security comes afterwards.

8. Re: Odd air fare differences in the same route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 08, 2014