We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover time for international flight.

Moorpark, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Layover time for international flight.

We're taking the Carnival Sunshine cruise in the end on July on a 12 nighter through Europe.

We are departing LAX on a Friday through AIR CANADA. We have 1 stop in Toronto on our way to Venice, Italy. Our layover is only 1 hour and 2 minutes. Is that enough time to do everything we need to do in order to get to our connecting flight? (our entire flight is through air canada, if that helps?)

I read somewhere you need at least 2 hours to get everything done at Toronto's airport. I don't know if that commenter was going to another airline, though.

This is my first time flying international and on AMEX's site this flight itinerary fit us the best at the time...did I make a mistake?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,294 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover time for international flight.

When does your cruise leave Venice, and when are you scheduled to arrive there?

Moorpark, California
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover time for international flight.

Cruise leaves Sunday morning and we are supposed to get to Venice on Saturday mid-late morning. I think 11:55am if I remember correctly. I'm just worried because I would love to have an extra day to spend in Venice....

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover time for international flight.

I have never travelled through Toronto but 1 hour seems very short. If this is all on one ticket and you miss your flight the airline will get you on the next available flight. So, if you miss it you may get on the next flight, will this get you to Venice in time for your cruise. If not I would go for a longer layover at Toronto. And remember if there is no room on the next flight you will almost certainly miss your cruise.

If you book on seperate tickets, don't book these tickets, give yourself much more time, most probably overnight to make the connection.

Too much is at stake if you miss your flight, missing a cruise is expensive.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover time for international flight.

It does seem a bit short. A passenger arriving from the US has to clear Canadian border formalities even though they are effectively just transiting briefly, and of course that takes time.

torontopearson.com/Connecting_from_usa.aspx#

...it looks like it all depends which terminal you are arriving and departing from.

I have to say that my experience at YYZ has been less than inspiring. Baggage deliver in particular can be notoriously slow, and then there was that time I felt like punching a security screener in the face.

Is this one of the new Rouge flights to Venice? I would be worried that if you missed that connection there might not be a suitable next flight to go on in time to get you to Venice for the cruise.

Moorpark, California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover time for international flight.

I do believe that going to Europe it is a Rogue flight....

The returning flight from Europe is a regular....

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover time for international flight.

Rather than worrying about time in Venice, I would be worried about missing the connection and then missing the cruise.

With an hour connection there is no room for the shortest of delays. What happens if your flight is delayed departure, has a delay waiting for a stand, ATC delay, you will most probably miss your connection. Personally I would try and change the flight.

If that's not possible, sit as near to the front of the plane and run. Remember you won't have an hour by the time the doors are opened and you disembark, get to a new gate and the flight to Venice will close some time before the departure time. Lets hope your baggage makes it!

Hopefully all will be ok but it's not a risk I would like to take. Good luck.

Edited: 12:22 pm, April 05, 2013
Moorpark, California
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover time for international flight.

If everything goes as planned, I'll get to Venice a day earlier than my cruise...so missing the cruising shouldn't be anything to worry about...I hope....

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Layover time for international flight.

But if it doesn't go as planned?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Layover time for international flight.

I'd try to change to an earlier flight to Toronto, because 1 hour is very short and leaves no time for any delays, and even if you just scrape through, what about your luggage, do you want the fun of trying to locate it and also having a cruise to catch ? So yes, IMO you did make a mistake booking such a short connection.

10. Re: Layover time for international flight.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 07, 2014