We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows where Delta flights from the U.S. land at Schiphol...gate, area whatever? Also does a.o. know what gate or area Delta from Schiphol to Venice departs from? I have checked the airport's website but have found zero info. on that topic. I believe it is one large terminal rt? So how does it delinate areas for arriving and departing international flights from European arrival and departure flights? thank you.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Schiphol is basically one terminal and although large is easy to navigate - gate assignments will be made on the day subject to overall aircraft movements.

Your flight from AMS to Venice will not be on Delta but probably a codeshare with KLM.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Delta no not fly AMS-VCE,that will be a Delta code share on a KLM flight.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

I have flown into Amsterdam several times in the past few months and there does not appear to be a designated area for Delta or for whatever airline you will fly out of Amsterdam. I receive my gate information on my cell phone before my flight leaves from the US. That might be 10 hours in advance and it is occasionally different when I actually get there so I always check the departure board.

It is a huge airport with no assistance such as trains or even moving sidewalks to get you from place to place. It is generally well marked and not difficult unless you have mobility issues. If that is the case it is currently the worst airport I have ever been in for disability assistance, and I will never make a connection there again.

Delta also has no presence at this airport. If you have any problems or complaints it is unlikely that your partner airline will be of much help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

I think that Lufthansa would probably be willing to help, but it would take time to find a Lufthansa desk and that time would be better spent in getting to the departure gate.

When you get off the first flight, follow the signs for Immigration (Passport Control). You have to go through Passport Control at AMS as it is your first port in the Schengen area. Once out of Immigration, look for the departure screens to see which gate will be used by your onward flight, and then follow the signs to that gate.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

if anyone with disabilities is traveling to Schiphol here is the information you need to know ...

schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/AirportFac…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Busy retired I am quite surprised that you had issues at Schiphol. Normally they are pretty good with transporting people on those electric carts that go all over the place. Also there are few parts of the airport that don't have moving walkways so to say there are none is highly inaccurate. I think if you experienced issued then complain to the airport in writing and to your airline.

US flights normally arrive at piers E or F and Venice from C or B about a 25 minute walk max (not including any possible delays at security/immigration)

Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Thank you everyone for providing very helpful information; I appreciate you taking your time to aid a fellow traveler.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Yes I had been assured that this airport was outstanding in terms of assistance for the disabled. That may be why I was so surprised at the dreadful treatment we received there. It was absolutely my very worst airport experience. Our partner airline would not even listen to my complaint because we were Delta passengers, even though there is no one representing Delta at this airport.

If is am incorrect about moving sidewalks I apologize. I spent a total of 16 hours in this airport during the last two months of 2012. I feel as if I have seen most of the airport. I would amend my statement to recognize that in the places we badly needed walking assistance there were no moving sidewalks.

Although we were clearly marked as requiring assistance we were ignored for 45 minutes on a 2 hour connection. When a very young man actually arrived with his little moving cart he had room for only one person. He therefore engaged in visual triage and determined that my husband was not sufficiently disabled as to require assistance. He refused to call any other people and left us to make our way to a tight connection. The exact same thing happened to us two more times, but because we had longer connection times we were able to walk and rest and ultimately reach our gate. The effort, however, left my husband in severe pain and spoiled much of our vacation.

I have never been in a situation where a 19 year old twit was empowered to determine who was worthy and who was not. While I try not to judge others the attractive young lady who occupied one of those precious seats was just "getting a quick ride" to her work place. My visual assessment did not find any reason why she was more disabled than my husband.

Of course I complained to Delta, and they compensated with vouchers and miles, but that was no help when we were struggling in the airport and not a single airport employee took notice.

This system is simply horrendous and I will never transit through this airport again regardless of how convenient it may be. My husband virtually crawled the last 200 meters and absolutely no one noticed. No one even offered so much as a helping hand or even assistance with a carry-on bag.

This is a difficult airport for those with disability issues and that difficulty is compounded by the ridiculous policy of allowing children to determine who may be helped and who may not.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,882 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

Assistance is typically contracted by the airport, not the individual airlines. As I recall, the moving walkways are mainly in the gate areas - the recorded "Mind your step" at the end of each one sticks in my head for days after passing through there. The central shopping areas don't have moving walkways, and they are massive.

KLM handles all ground and customer service duties for Delta - just as Delta handles everything for KLM in the US.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minneapolis to Venice via Schiphol with Delta Airlines

I am aware that KLM is supposed to manage customer service details for Delta. My point is that regardless of what KLM is supposed to do, they, in fact, do absolutely nothing.