We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

My elderly parents were humiliated and treated with so much disrespect that we will never fly this airline again. My parents were visiting from Puerto Rico and the gate attendents at OHare Airport refused to speak my parents them in Spanish despite their ability to do so (they were Spanish native speakers). They treated these two senior citizens with such disrespect that my mother asked me to write a letter to the corporate executives. They were discriminatory, demeaning, unhelpful, rude and, in my Mom's own words, "grossero". All because these two refused to call the ticket desk to confirm payment for carry on bags despite being presented with the reciept.

We will never again fly Spirit Air, there are several other airlines that we can choose from. You have lost our business and I will make every make every effort to let people know why.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

Spirit airlines customer service is an oxymoron to begin with as dozens of threads here will show. I am curious, how do you know that the gate agent's native language was Spanish?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

I suspect, as with most of these stories, there is much more to this one that we will never hear about. I wouldn't fly Spirit anyway.

It's "grosero" by the way.

Edited: 4:46 pm, April 04, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,115 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

Hi,

I agree to the extent that IF (and I am making the assumption there was in fact Spanish speaking staff present) fhere was language staff present, that this would have been the better course of action for everyone..

That said, I'm not sure that I read anything in the OP that, to me, rises to the level of "discriminatory" behavior or similar..

I also think we'd need to be there first hand to see the whole sequence of events to know.. I am also aware that the OPs account is also heresay as it sounds as is a/he was

I do think that communication breakdown was to a larger degree, the genesis to the matter.. Again I do think that IF language trained staff were present, that they should have been used... And from a carriers only perspective, this is to their advantage too.. So a win-win ...

Travel Safe,

London, United...
Level Contributor
26,597 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

I think there is two complaints here, the first one is the requirement to communicate with your parents in Spanish, right? Do your parents not have good English and were travelling alone? Is this the case?

I have to say, I would be very surprised if someone who could communicate easily refused to do so, which would lead me to believe the agents did not speak Spanish or they did not speak Spanish well enough to communicate with your parents.

The second complaint is there was a question over the payment for luggage. Which your parents had a receipt for, so why did they have to call the ticket desk?

I would suspect, on the little information you have provided that there has been some confusion, and it was possibly language based, and may have been on both sides, ie the agents and your parents due to a lack of ability to communicate effectively to one another.

I do think it's not normal that people naturally behave to humilate, demean and be rude to any stranger never mind elderly people, so perhaps your parents were not as polite in the first place, normally this sort of behaviour is in response to rude passengers ie like for like. The agents have nothing to gain by just doing it for fun, that woukd be perverse and they would not be employed long, however maybe your parents had something to gain by being rude? Especially if they were being asked for payment.,,,

Your own post is slightly over the top really.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7,938 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

Spanish/English issues aside, you are just one of many people to post here over the years about how terrible Spirit Airlines is. I know I won't be flying them. Did you have any concerns at all about booking with them?

I would have.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

Your post is heavy on adjectives but light on facts.

I'd need to know more before passing judgment but if the end result was that they had to pay for bags, it hardly qualifies as a nightmare. Call or email to get a refund or dispute the charge with their credit card provider.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
24,026 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

I rather take a Greyhound Bus than fly Sprit the nickel and time airline.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,655 posts
1,027 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

"Nightmare"?

Did something else happen? Other than possibly - I say possibly because your post does not contain nearly enough information for anybody to make an honest judgement about what did or did not happen - your parents enduring a few minutes of unhappiness and/or confusion, why was this a nightmare?

How did *you* know the gate attendant spoke fluent Spanish?

>> All because these two refused to call the ticket desk to confirm payment for carry on bags<<

Who two? Your parents? Why did they refuse? Why were they supposed to call the ticket desk?

You were there in person seeing all this, right?

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Airways Customer Service Nightmare

Research prior to flying would have been better then post flight rant

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
24,026 posts