We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberia Airlines

Angola, Indiana
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Iberia Airlines

My husband and I bought tickets through American Airlines but we are flying Iberia Airlines out of Chicago, IL to Spain and on to Morocco. First of all I have heard terrible stories about flying Iberia but also, since we were not aware that we were not actually flying AA, we called and are not able to get seat assignments until we get to the airport? I am not the best of fliers and really like to have everything arranged beforehand. Anyone know of any way to get our seats beforehand? We have a small commuter flight to Chicago first and our flight time was changed so we only have a little over 2 1/2 hours between flights. Any advice would be appreciated.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberia Airlines

You don't have to wait until you get to the airport. You may choose your seats when you check in online. How did you miss you weren't flying on AA? It says who the operating carrier is when you choose your flights.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberia Airlines

We had a good experience flying with Iberia a few years ago. Our flights were at least as good as our flights with AA, perhaps even better.

Angola, Indiana
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberia Airlines

We booked our flight through AA but they outsource some of their flights and our flight from Chicago to Madrid to Morocco was outsourced to Iberia Airlines. Once I noticed that we were outsourced to Iberia I called their airline and since we are flying coach we can't get seat assignments until we get to Chicago Ohare.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberia Airlines

Those are called "codeshares" and the airline must show you clearly who is actually operating your flight.

It looks like this:

Operated by

Iberia

04:40 PM ORD

07:40 AM MAD

When you see "operated by" that is the airline on which you will actually be flying. Just note, you will be checking in with Iberia, not AA for your Iberia flights.

Edited: 8:33 pm, April 03, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberia Airlines

You weren't "outsourced," you bought tickets on a codeshare itinerary. The phrase "operated by Iberia" was right there when you bought your tickets.

Pick seats when you check in online, and don't worry - Iberia (part of IAG, which includes British Airways) is a quality carrier with a great safety record. Madrid is a great airport for transfers, as well.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,709 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberia Airlines

What you need to do is call American and ask for the reservation code (or PNR) for use on the Iberia website. It will probably be different from the code you have for aa.com. Then, you will be able to access your reservation on iberia.com using their "Booking Management", and be able to do online check-in (OLCI) 24 hours before your flights.

Booking Management - http://bit.ly/10zXoG7

OLCI - http://bit.ly/Zah3T9

You can select seats for free during OLCI. If you want to pre-select your seats before check in, there's a fee of up to €60 per flight - http://bit.ly/12iKgrO

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberia Airlines

We might just have been unlucky but I vowed years ago not to fly again with Iberia, then last year we planned a trip last minute to Rio and the only airline with availability was Iberia, on the way out the flight was late leaving Milan and we missed our connection to Rio then on the flight back they had forgotten to assign a crew for the Madrid to Milan flight and were stuck in Madrid airport for 12 hours with some very nervous Italian business men , anyway if you've booked with them you can't do anything about it so don't worry I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberia Airlines

Assuming Iberia's not on strike, Madrid air traffic control is not on strike, and Iberia has a plane and crew in functioning order, I like Iberia more than AA.

Getting those three conditions in order is the hard part.

AA coach does not have complimentary beer/wine. Iberia does though. I like Iberia's food, inflight entertainment and flight attendants more too.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberia Airlines

>> AA coach does not have complimentary beer/wine <<

It does; reinstated some time ago. www.aa.com/i18n/urls/intl_beer-wine.jsp

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberia Airlines

>It does; reinstated some time ago. www.aa.com/i18n/urls/intl_beer-wine.jsp

That's good to know thanks.

Did they reinstate meals in economy domestic flights? Continental still had included economy domestic meals through 2010 so I kind of moved my travel to them. Status got me hooked. I still have a gazillion AA miles and occasionally still do AA by award travel, but not in economy except on short hops.