We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

Hello,

I purchased a JetBlue flight on AA.com to get AA miles as it was a qualified segment and fare class (BOS-MCO) under their agreement with JetBlue on certain routes. I have since completed the flights no problem. I requested credit for the miles as they did not show up in the 30 day window. American has requested that I fax the original ticket and boarding passes for credit. I have the ticket and I have the boarding pass for the BOS-MCO route. Unfortunately I only had one copy of the boarding pass for MCO-BOS since I had Guest Relations in the Magic Kingdom print it for me and the gate agent kept it. Is there any way to get a copy of a boarding pass or proof after the flight is completed? I already tried re-retrieving the reservation on JetBlue, but I get an error message. I am a bit surprised at the whole issue since the ticket was purchased on AA.com, but I guess they are looking for proof that I showed up for the flights? Any suggestions? Or should I just roll the dice and try with what I have and maybe get partial credit? Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

It doesn't matter where you purchased the ticket. JetBlue is in charge of informing AA about your mileage.

No, you won't be able to get a copy of the boarding pass. I've guessed you've learned now why you should always save them. I'd try sending what I had and see what happens. Do you have receipts for anything you may have purchased on the flight? If so, I'd send those too.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,531 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

This is why I usually print a couple copies plus make a PDF and save it to my hard drive. Even when I print my BP at home, I usually hit the kiosk at the airport to see if any better seats opened up and grab another copy since I'm too lazy to dig through my bag to find the home printed one.

Did you by any chance try an e-check in for a mobile device, or get an e-mail telling you to check in? Those might help. Send whatever you have and hope for the best.

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

When I print at home I always print 3 copies - it was just because I was asking someone else to do it that I got the one copy. The only extra I purchased was an Even More Space seat and that was done immediately after booking by accessing my AA confirmation on the JetBlue website. I have a receipt for the dinner I purchased at the airport, but I'm not sure AA will care about that. I didn't try e-check in :(

I guess the only other thing I will try is maybe the goodwill of AA since I am a Gold member. Maybe if I fax what I have and call the number on the membership card they will throw me a bone. It stinks because I purchased the ticket this way because those miles would earn me a free domestic ticket. I forfeited my TrueBlue awards not booking with JetBlue and that flight would've extended their life another year. Looks like I might be out both now. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

Not only do I print my boarding passes to PDF, but I also take a photo of the BP with my camera phone while at the airport, at the boarding gate and/or on the plane. Then I have (much greater) proof that not only did I check in but that I took the flight.

If I were I'd go with what you've got. You should get a partial credit for the BP you have, and that may trigger AA/JetBlue into finding the other flight for you.

Edited: 1:03 pm, April 03, 2013
jack.
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

Some airlines will send you a copy of a previous boarding pass for a fee. The fee might be more than the worth of the miles, though.

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

Since you were all so kind as to offer suggestions I figured I would post the outcome. It took 4 months from date of travel, but American gave me full credit for the miles. I faxed them the original ticket and outward boaring pass as requested. To validate the missing boarding pass segment, I faxed an edited copy of my credit card statement showing dinner at MCO, taxi fare in Boston upon landing, and for the EvenMoreSpace upgrade I purchased separately for that segment. I blacked out all personal information and other purchases on my statement obviously. I attached a cover letter succintly explaining the issue and politely requested that they consider the additional evidence I provided as proof that I was indeed on the flight to earn the miles. My request was granted. I did not end up having to call.

Going forward I will certainly employ the PDF trick suggested above!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

Wow, I have to say, after all that, I too would have given you the miles, even if you were not due them:-))

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

I was, I swear!

I think the best advice I have gotten from this forum is to be short and sweet, politely explain the issue, and the remedy you seek, and the powers that be may be receptive. And were in this instance:)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,546 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

I'll hazard a guess that if Homeland Security wanted to know if you were on the flight the airline could have hit a few computer keystrokes and come up with the answer in a nanosecond. Why do they make us jump through hoops to get what we are entitled to, especially when the original error (not crediting the miles in the first place) was theirs?

Just musing......

10. Re: Trying to get FFM credit - missing one boarding pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 12, 2014