We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

Scotia, New York
3 posts
Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

I am planning a trip to Peru, that will include a 12 hour overnight layover in Panama City. Does anybody know if this "works"--to stay one night in a country and then go on to the next? I assume you go through customs twice? Do you have to take your checked luggage with you, or does it get checked through and stay at the airport overnight? There will be 2 of us traveling, my husband and myself. Thanks.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
339 reviews
1. Re: Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

it's not a problem at all. You do need to make sure that you satisfy the immigration requirements of the transit country, i.e. visa if needed. If the trip is on a contiguous ticket, in all likelihood you can have your luggage checked through.

Have fun.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
222 reviews
2. Re: Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

I am sure this will be no problem for you. Many travellers have to do this or similar. I have often when travelling through hubs like Atlanta or Miami. Although I have no knowledge of Panama City, I am sure you will have to go through immigration and customs.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

I do this all the time. in fact, today I arrived at my final destination after spending a restful night & relaxing morning in singapore. I love doibg a stopover because I arrive at my destination refreshed and it gives me a chance to see another place.

depending on how long your stopover is, you can either opt to fheck your bags through to Peru & use your cabin baggage to pack a change of clothes etc for your stopover, or elect to collect checked bags in Panama & re-check in after stopover.

enjoy your trip!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,422 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

We did that on our way to the Amazon. Our flights arrived fairly late, so we had no choice. You can get a shared ride or taxi to city center since there weren't many options for hotels near PTY when we traveled.

One tip: you can stay at Country Inns and Suites (next to TGIF) for a great view of the bridge and see the BIG ships heading for the canal. If you have time to spend there, bring a swimsuit with that change of clothes. They have a nice pool. (Bfast is pretty so-so, and rooms are mediocre--it's all about the view)

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
449 reviews
5. Re: Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

Doable and actually great to do. Checking your luggage through and taking a change (without liquid though) in a carry-on for the overnight is probably the easiest option. Do double-check though the visa question (http://cibtvisas.com/ will help).

6. Re: Staying overnight in one country on the way to another

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2014