We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

Hello,

I have an upcoming trip in August. We will arriving on Aeromexico into LAX's Terminal 2 at 4:30pm from Mexico City. We have a connecting flight on Hawaiian Airlines in Terminal 2 that leaves 6:00pm for Honolulu. What is the U.S. Customs and Immigration procedure to make my connecting flight?

Edited: 8:50 pm, March 26, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,630 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

You have to go through immigration and customs in LA. That means you have to get off your plane,get your luggage, and then stop at immigration for them to check your passport and go through customs handing in your declaration of whatever you bought in Mexico.

I don't know how busy the airport will be at the time you are landing.

Are you on one ticket or 2 separate tickets???

That may make a difference as to how your luggage is handled.

I don't know if Hawaiian and Aeromexico have any agreement for handling luggage.

IF you have to check in with Hawaiian for your luggage then that will take extra time.

IF you are on one ticket and you miss your 2nd flight then Hawaiian will have to put you on the next available flight which could be that night or the next day.

IF you are on 2 separate tickets and miss your flight then you'll have to buy a new ticket as Hawaiian has no responsibility for you.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

What if we will only have carry-on luggages? Do we still need to exit the airport? I read somewhere that Terminal 2 has its own Customs and Immigration desk inside of the terminal?

I've never traveled outside of the US, this will be my first time! I'm wondering if it will be a simple process of deplaning, visiting the Customs and Immigration immigrations desk inside of the terminal, and walking to the gate since they are both in Terminal 2?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

when u leave immigration/customs at any terminal in lax u are in an unsecure area.

u have to get back airside thru security even if it's at the same terminal u arrived at

Edited: 9:26 pm, March 26, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

Aww, that's no fun!

So when you go through Customs/Immigration, what is the process going to be like? Do you just present your passport and they stamp it, and that's it? Or will it be a lengthy process that will become an issue of getting out and back in within 1.5 hours?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

assume u have a usa passport.

immigration can be quite quick (compared to us 'poor' foreigners) in that case.

delays in immi always depend on the number of flights arriving at the time plus the number of immi desks open

altho american citizens seem to get 'looked after' with the latter.

i always allow 3 hours for connections at LAX. sometimes i have been thru in 1....other times it's taken the 3 hours.

but that is with luggage. delays waiting for bags plus the customs line consumes time. with only hand luggage u will only have customs to worry about.

security lines can also be a nightmare getting back airside. again this is a passenger load thing.

i think u will be right on the edge with a 1.5 hour transfer time.....just hope your arrival is early or at worst on time.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

This is great, thank you! I will cross my fingers, hope for the best! Luckily my husband and I are seated close to the front on our arriving flight so hopefully we can deplane relatively quickly and ahead of everyone, get through immigration, through customs, and back into the TSA line ASAP! Unfortunately 6PM is the last flight back home to Hawaii... on all carriers! And 4:30pm was the earliest arrival from Puerto Vallarta on all carriers as well!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,355 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

This is going to be a tight connection. If your flight is delayed at all, you will have no chance of making your connection.

Next time, whenever you make a booking, make sure you give yourself 3 hours between flights going international to domestic.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately this was our only option... 6PM is the last flight out of LAX back to Hawaii, and 4:30PM was the earliest flight landing in LAX I could find out of Puerto Vallarta!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

Hi

If you are on seperate tickets make backup plans. you won't have a boarding pass for the 6 PM flight

you actualy only have 1 hr if the flight leaves at 6 you need to be at gate at least 20 mins before

so if seperate tickets you need to clear customs and immigration then go to check-in to get boarding pass then back thru security to gate.

I hope the flights are on the same ticket then you might make it with luck if seperate tickets no way.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX Terminal 2 Connecting Flights

I found this web application by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, plugged in LAX, Terminal 2, and looked up historical data for August 2012 as well as data for the past 3 months. I hope their average of 30 minutes is accurate!

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/index.asp