We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic

I've been booking flights for about five or six years (usually a few times a year) but recently I've noticed that customer service has been terrible all around. I look at reviews for these sites and they are all terrible as well. Expedia in particular has really gone down hill. Customer service no matter where I call is atrocious, prices are exorbitant and nobody wants to honor their best price guarantee.

I am wondering if there are any decent sites anymore? Or should I just go into booking a ticket knowing the experience is going to be awful and that I am going to get ripped off regardless?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

I find that the airline's own websites are usually very good and customer service is usually quick and efficient.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

Ditto MrMarcos - I book direct with the airline or use a travel agent (useful for complicated fares, or trips involving more than a few people)

Seldom have problems. I prefer peace of mind to saving a few bucks though.

UK
Level Contributor
49,562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

------

The airlines. Usually the cheapest as well once the third party sites have done adding on extra costs (often without the mug punters even noticing)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

If you think Expedia's terrible you're probably better off staying away from 3rd party sites altogether to be honest.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

You might consider visiting a reputable local travel agent? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

Just book with the airline.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

ditto

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
473 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

If you want to pay a local travel agent to book flights, great. They earn their keep with their fees.

Best place to search for airfares is with Kayak.com... then book directly with the airline. But if the trip involves more than one carrier (who might have something that is cheaper) then you'll have to go the TA route, either in person or online. Or book two tickets, one with each carrier.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

>> Or book two tickets, one with each carrier. <<

Booking separate tickets can open up a whole new can of worms. Most importantly, if you are delayed getting to the stopover airport - even if it's due to the first flight being delayed - you risk having the second ticket cancelled as a no show, and having to buy a new ticket at the walk up fare. Only go down the separate tickets route if you know fully well what you could be letting yourself in for, and with a ton of contingency built in to your schedule.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,053 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any air travel sites that aren't terrible?

I use Expedia all the time and never had a problem. Why would you frequently need to call Customer Service? I just do everything online.