We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

Has anybody else been sick since flying with Thai airways BKK to Heathrow last Tuesday?

I have been so ill & still not fully recovered since arriving home. My doctor thinks its food poisoning, i should have results tomorrow to confirm.

I am sure it is from the chicken pasta from the second meal which my partner & son didn't eat it thankfully.

I know it's hard to prove anything so i thought if other people have been ill as well, it will make my complaint to the airline have more conviction.

Many thanks

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

I am sure it is from the chicken pasta from the second meal which my partner & son didn't eat it thankfully.

=====================

How are you 'sure'? Could it have been from one of your meals in Thailand?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,603 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

Food poisoning can have a lengthy incubation period so there is every possibility, and in my opinion it's more likely, that you contracted it via food eaten in Bangkok prior to the flight.

Why would you immediately jump to the conclusion it was the airline food rather than any other meal you had eaten.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

It is doubtful that you will find anyone here that happened to be on your flight or other flights in the same period that would have been catered with the same food. You might want to report your suspicion to the airline as they would be in the position to gather reports from others. As noted, it would be difficult to impossible to determine exactly what caused your illness. If the doctor can confirm what type of food poisoning, they might be able to give you the incubation period for the bacteria in question - it can be a few hours to several days before you feel ill.

I'm recovering from what I think is a mild bout of food poisoning. It hit me 12 hours after eating at a local restaurant, and at least one other person in my party, who ate off the same plate (Ethiopian restaurant) got sick about the same time. I still can't be sure that it was the food, as others didn't get sick. Not bad enough to warrant a trip to the doctor either, so I guess I will never know.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

I assume you contacted the airline so that, if others reported problems, they could inspect the food process. Posting here in hope you find someone else from that same flight who got ill seems like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

The hygiene in airline catering kitchens are far better than in most restaurants in Thailand.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

I am also of the opinion that it could have been something you ate before boarding but you may want to post here to see if any other pax have had the same problem

flyertalk.com/forum/…

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

Thanks for your responses...

would just like to add that the reason for my post here to see if anyone else on the same flight as me has been ill since is to possibly associate the sickness with the plane food. I am fully aware it is hard to prove where it came from but having eaten the same as my partner & son previously & at breakfast i was the only one who ate the chicken on the plane. Yes i am also aware that i could've been carrying a bug etc. Really was just a stab in the dark to see if anyone else happened to stumble across this forum as i did whilst trying to find complaints on Thai airways. I have read several forums on a similar matter all with Thai airways & how hard it is to complain or even get a response from them & that food poisoning has happened before on several occasions. I thought if it wasn't just me who was ill since the flight i would have a stronger complaint to go to them with regarding the standard of food & contamination.

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

thanks

Edited: 12:54 pm, March 26, 2013
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k48121…

have a look at this thread.

pam

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 19/3/13 Thai airways flight TG917- Possible food poisoning

Thank you Pam, i've read it! interesting, that's what i stumbled across & prompted my post here to see if i can find other people who've been ill...