We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA approval

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Topic
ESTA approval

does anyone know if you usually get immediate confirmation of approval for VWP using ESTA if applying online outside of normal office hours or will it say 'approval pending' until next working day please. Thanks

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA approval

You used to get automatic approval but not any more. Its usually approved when you log in a couple of hours later.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA approval

I got immediate approval for 2 ESTAs I did a couple of weeks ago. If you're talking about US business hours, then I did them outside of those hours

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,017 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA approval

Yep me too. Approval within seconds.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA approval

It's an automated IT system that does not require human intervention so working hours is not relevant - approval is normally immediate unless there is a doubt about your eligibility for an ESTA.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA approval

We had to wait until the following day for our approvals to be granted.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,072 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ESTA approval

What I would like to know is where the posters above experiencing delays are applying through? Is it the official government site or a third party (rip-off)? Applications should be made here:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ESTA approval

Mine was through the official stie not via a 3rd party.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
895 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ESTA approval

The first time we did it, we had to wait for approval. The second time it was granted immediately.

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ESTA approval

Thanks for the replies. Need to apply on behalf of my son later and didnt want to get the 'pending' reply as it'll stress me out as his trip is quite soon!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ESTA approval

Instant approval for my application. The ESTA is valid for 2 years or upon the expiry of your passport, whichever is earlier.