We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes in flight times on United - do I have any options?

Boston...
Level Contributor
188 posts
412 reviews
Save Topic
Changes in flight times on United - do I have any options?

Headed to Vegas with a group from Boston. We are stopping at IAH both ways.

On the way there they moved our Boston flight up an hour and our connecting flight back an hour, adding 2 hours of layover, putting us on an earlier morning flight and getting us to Vegas later!

On the way home they moved our flight up 2.5 hours (to 6am after a night in Vegas) and pushed the connection a bit over an hour, adding 3.5 hours to our flights.

Details below. Is there anything that can be done? These changes are nuts!

Our original itinerary was:

Boston (Logan Intl.) to Houston (IAH)

06/08/13

7:40 AM - 10:36 AM

UNITED 1509

Houston (IAH) to Las Vegas (McCarran Intl.)

06/08/13

11:30 AM - 1:00 PM

UNITED 1693

Las Vegas (McCarran Intl.) to Houston (IAH)

06/11/13

8:30 AM - 1:33 PM

UNITED 112

Houston (IAH) to Boston (Logan Intl.)

06/11/13

3:35 PM - 8:29 PM

UNITED 1578

They have no changed it to:

Flight UA 1130

Depart: 6:37 a.m. | Sat., Jun. 8, 2013 | Boston, MA (BOS)

Arrive: 9:37 a.m. | Sat., Jun. 8, 2013 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)

Flight UA 491

Depart: 12:42 p.m. | Sat., Jun. 8, 2013 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)

Arrive: 2:01 p.m. | Sat., Jun. 8, 2013 | Las Vegas, NV (LAS)

Flight UA 1212

Depart: 6:00 a.m. | Tue., Jun. 11, 2013 | Las Vegas, NV (LAS)

Arrive: 11:07 a.m. | Tue., Jun. 11, 2013 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)

Flight UA 468

Depart: 4:40 p.m. | Tue., Jun. 11, 2013 | Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)

Arrive: 9:46 p.m. | Tue., Jun. 11, 2013 | Boston, MA (BOS)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changes in flight times on United - do I have any options?

u can either wear it or find some other more suitable options for the itinerary and then call united to see if they will change things.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changes in flight times on United - do I have any options?

Firstly, no disrespect, but these aren't earth shatteringly bad changes. One hour earlier departure, one hour later arrival in each direction is hardly the end of the world, and I would never have booked the 54 minute connection on the outbound anyway (substantial risk of missing the connection). Look at the recent "Air Canada Vacations" thread for an example of really inconvenient rescheduling. :-)

However, you don't have to accept the change. The rescheduling was probably done by computer, and with some thought and a **polite** conversation with a reservations agent, could be bettered.

I would go onto united.com and look for better alternatives if you can find them (including routing via Chicago, Washington Dulles and Denver). If you can find alternatives then call United and request you be rescheduled on those flights. Always best to be prepared with the alternatives to guide the agent.

Personally I would want a 2 hour connection as a minimum in case of a delayed arrival, which makes me think your new outbound is okay if not ideal.

Good luck.

Edited: 10:21 pm, March 25, 2013
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,992 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changes in flight times on United - do I have any options?

As noted, arm yourself with some options and have a nice, courteous negotiation. Anger will get you nowhere. And, in all likelihood, you can probably get UA to cancel and refund. But, honestly, this isn't a big change.

4. Re: Changes in flight times on United - do I have any options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 27, 2014