We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
156 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

I have booked to fly with VS from LHR to LAX later this year. I have flown with them several times before, most recently last summer.

Can someone clarify how the seat selection works now? I understand the seat map will be available 90 days before?

Many thanks

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

As far as I have experienced with VA, you select your seat at time of booking, unless this has changed recently.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

VS have changed their seat allocation system; updated answer number one addresses this: …custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/seating There are fees payable for certain seats as well: …custhelp.com/app/…1

romford
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

Our son is flying our to Mexico in June (Premium) and husband and myself are also flying out to Mexico in August (Premium) and neither of us were able to book our seats at time of booking .... we were told 90 days before.

Dunstable, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

Virgin did change the seat allocation policy in 2012, but you won't find out untill you have parted with your money and try to manage your booking!! Having flown to Vegas VA with friends on six previous occasions without a problem we booked in Febuary for September but can't choose our seats till June!!. My beef is if i was made aware of this change we could have flown BA and chose our seats on payment.

Croydon, Surrey
Level Contributor
312 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

I am flying to Jamaica in July, I was able to choose our seats online at exactly 90 days...until then it always said seat plan unavailable. I am unable to choose our seats home yet.

Also excited to see that you can now sit upstairs in the bubble with economy, have sat there before in premium...unfortunately this time we are not upgrading.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

You can chose your seats 90 days before you fly. So, you can do your outbound flight then have to wait until 90 days before your inbound flight to chose them for that one. Don't forget that you are only "requesting" seats and they are not guaranteed and they can change them before you fly. This has happened to us a couple of times.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

Does anyone know if they changed it to 60 days for the availability of the seat map? I'm flying in 66 days and its still unavailable.

North east england
Level Contributor
659 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

They have completely changed their seating allocations in December, please go to their website or ring them for new details....it is a bit complicated.

I think it is now 30 days before you travel date, but at the moment it depends on when you are flying (they are bringing the new rules in, in stages)

I rang them regarding our trip in May, and was told we could pre-book the seats beginning of April, we are flying premium economy, rules are different again for economy seats.......not very straight forward.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

Thanks so much. We're Premium also and I can't get through to them on the phone (although unsurprising with the weather at the moment). I just want to make sure I'm not in the dreaded back rows by the loos!

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic Seat Selection

Virgin did change the timing of the seat requests from 90 days to 30 days in December. I managed to request seats for our outbound flight in March but by the time it came to 90 days before the return flight the new rule had come in so I couldn't access the seat request section of my booking.

However, I understand this has changed AGAIN and you can now request seats 60 days before the date of your flight. It's probably because a lot of people have complained about the timings but it just makes things more confusing than they were before.