We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

My wife and I I have accumulated enough frequent flyer miles for us to redeem miles for a trip to China or somewhere in that region, assuming that we could snag the seats. The problem is the timing. We can not get away in time to avoid losing our miles due to United's policy of miles expiring after 18 months of no activity. I would like to clarify what that policy means. Do you merely have to book the flights using the miles, or must the travel be completed before 18 months has expired? What constitutes activity. Can we simply make charges to our United/Chase VISA card and that count as activity which would be the easiest? or Could we buy miles or give away miles to qualify or must we travel to constitute activity?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

If you dont get an answer on here, or even if you do, make your way to flyertalk, look in the united section there and the FAQs, I cant believe the answer to this query isn't in there already

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Any addition or subraction of miles to your account will count as activity and reset your 18 month clock. One of the easiest ways is to buy something through a United partner that will earn you frequent flier miles.

united.com/CMS/…

Registering your credit card with Mileage Plus Dining is also not a bad idea. You automatically get miles when you dine at a participating restaurant and use your credit card, so miles have a tendency to pop up when you don't even realize it.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

I just realized that you have a United credit card, so the miles you earn with that will count as activity.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Head on over to The Points Guy or FT. Even if you get an answer here, TPG and FT are "the experts" and will go the extra mile to help you.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,536 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Yes the credit card should constitute activity.

It might be useful to look through the Mileage plus rules on the United website which are pretty easy to link to. I also think that if you are registered online you can check the expiration date of your miles if you want to be sure of your own account.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

imo just having and renewing your united card is enough to keep the miles valid. no need for any so called activity.

Edited: 3:38 pm, March 25, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

""Account Activity", for purposes of these rules, shall be deemed to occur when a member accrues mileage in such member’s account in any manner as outlined and set forth in these Rules, or as otherwise approved by United, or when the member redeems any MileagePlus or partner award by the use of mileage in the member’s account. In cases where mileage is for any reason removed from an account, as for example the redemption of an award, and there is a subsequent cancellation of the award or removal of miles and a return of the miles to the member’s account, the cancellation of the award or removal and return of the mileage to the account shall not qualify as "Account Activity.""

united.com/web/…default.aspx

And note that redeeming miles for an award ticket gets you a ticket and counts as activity. So you won't lose your award ticket. The only thing that may happen is that if you cancel the ticket and the miles are returned to the account, then the original redemption is not counted as activity, and you may run up against the (current) expiration date again.

All you need is activity on your Mileage Plus account. So if you buy something that qualifies for miles or pay for something in miles, your account will continue to be active for a further 18 months.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

I just donated 1000 miles to the Red Cross until I got an award....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Use this site:

https:/…

Log in and go to iTunes through the site. All you have to do is make one purchase to keep your account active. No need to give away any miles.

Edited: 5:58 pm, March 25, 2013
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to Avoid Losing my United Airlines FF Miles

Use your United Credit Card to buy groceries that you would buy anyway, and you should be fine.

I charge pretty much everything to my CC to get miles for everything - and nothing will expire that way.