We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

I am a canadian citizen wintering in Florida and would like to go to Cuba for a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if I can do this and if so what is procedure and approximate costs to go from from Miami to Havann

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
812 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

As a non-US citizen, you cannot fly from Florida to Cuba as a tourist. If you were a US citizen you could only do so in certain circumstances with government permission.

I suppose it's possible that non-US citizens could get permission to take a Miami flight to Cuba for journalistic or other purposes but again it would be with the paperwork in order and government permission.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

You can still get there, but it means a non-direct route via an intermediate country such as the Bahamas, Mexico, Canada, Jamaica and a few others.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

Fly to Nassau then go Nassau to Havana. Or, fly to any destination in the Caribbean w/ direct flights to Havana. Easiest way, and then you won't have to get government permission

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

Some folks go through Grand Cayman too, since that is a short hop, if you can get the connections and a decent price.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,647 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

This is a somewhat old article, but it looks like the charter companies that book flights on behalf of AA, United, and Jet Blue are now able to process some passengers without intervention from the US Government. You may want to contact the charter companies to see if they can arrange it for you as a non-US citizen. Google and a couple phone calls might hook you up with a non-stop flight.

…wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297020375260457…

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,507 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

As far as I'm aware the charter flights out of the US are for Cubans that now live in America, and are strictly for Cuban/Americans, not for the general public. Also some groups with a licence can fly from the US.

I would ask on the Cuba forum, as some of the posters on there will have the latest information.

7. Re: Air Fare to Cuba from Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 26, 2014