We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Stockport
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Has anyone any experience of packing a 3 litre winebox in their hold luggage for a longhaul flight? The hotel we're going to is quite isolated and we know from past experience that wine is very expensive, so we're thinking of taking our own! However -

a) Will it survive the journey?

b) Will it cause problems when our suitcase goes through the security scanner at the airport?

Thanks!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
709 posts
497 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

There's a large duty free shop in pantai cenang and its very cheap. Even if you go on the bus or get a cab you'll save money

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Remember that your duty-free allowance isn't a limit on how much you are allowed to bring in - it just means that you would have to pay duty on what is over your allowance. If wine is that expensive it might be worth researching how much duty would be on the 3 litres and make your decision based on that total price.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

I've been to Cape Verde, and agree there is pretty much nothing there. But it's not long haul and I found drinks prices reasonable at the hotel.

However customs regulations for Cape Verde islands only permit you to import a max of two one litre bottles of wine and one litre of spirits. So a three litre wine box would not be allowed in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Edit, yes, would not be allowed in without paying duty.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

The OP is going to Malaysia. Cape Verde was a wild guess which I edited to it feeling like long haul when I reread the original post.

Can I add too to the OP - just to consider the weight implications too.

Edited: 3:23 pm, March 23, 2013
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

I have found that going back and forth between the USA and Canada that the duty is perfectly reasonable, and that it's worth doing. Just remember to declare it at customs. They will then decide if the duty they are going to get from you is worth them filling out the paperwork....

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

Duty on a few extra litres of wine will be pretty low, certainly lower than the cost of wine at your destination. A lot of customs officers won't even bother working it out and will just ask you to carry on your way given such a small sum. I'd take a box or two and declare it on arrival.

From a security perspective it won't cause a problem, granted it is unusual to see such a large mass of organic liquid packed in a box and the computer based level one screening will probably alarm meaning a human will re-screen it, but it'll probably be cleared without you knowing. The very worst that can happen is that you'll be asked to meet security airside to clarify what's in your bag. It rarely gets that far, bag reconciliation happens about once a day at the really busy airports.

18. Re: Wineboxes on longhaul flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 25, 2014