We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

Getting stressed out, taking AirAlaska from Victoria BC to Honolulu , connecting in Seattle. Arrive 9;13 am , depart 10.55 . So now realizing the stress of only 1.5 hrs connection time if there are delays at immigration, plus I do not know Seattle airport well, just been through it once and recall it required us to take a train to another terminal.

So, is immigration usually bad at Seattle coming from Canada, and is it hard to figure out how to get to next gate.Do not have gate information on my confirmation.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

This …wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_International_… and many other websites says that they have preclearance in Victoria. That means, you do your immigration and customs in Victoria. So you are landing in Seattle as if off a US domestic flight and you are fine. However, this does mean that checkin at Victoria will take longer so get there early.

They is never going to be gate info on your tickets or itinerary, even if they know it, it can change even an hour or two before and would confuse too many people. They will usually give it out on the flight just before landing, if they don't ( and even if they do) look at the boards after you landed and see what they say and follow the signs. Really it's not difficult to follow some signs is it? If in doubt, you don't know where a terminal is, ora gate, just ask.

Edited: 3:02 am, March 22, 2013
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

Thanks that is GREAT , Victorias airport is lovely and small and a treat to come in and out of.. we don't get a bunch of jumbo jets etc.. so that is a huge worry off ..

We tried to arrive the 3 hrs early for am flights at the airport in Victoria years ago, but now we wait till 5 am as once we went at 4 am and it was closed ,, security told us it doesn't open till 5.. that how small this airport is ( for an International Airport)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

No, you do NOT preclear US border controls in Victoria. http://www.victoriaairport.com/faq

This appears to be a valid Alaska Airlines through-routing, (AS 2383 / AS 851) so it meets Alaska's minimum connection time, but frankly I'd be pretty concerned. The Victoria plane will gate in the South satellite (where the US border controls are located) and the HNL flight will almost certainly depart from the North satellite, so you will have to go through immigration, collect your bags and go through customs, re-deposit your bags (re-check counter right outside customs) and then make your way by train to the North satellite (IF it's the North satellite - Alaska is in the process of moving a lot of gate assignments around at Seattle, so you'll definitely need to consult the reader boards or ask the first Alaska attendant you see.) You might also inform the cabin crew on the Victoria - Seattle flight that you have a short connection, and they can expedite you off the plane on arrival.

Since you have a confirmation, that means you've already purchased the ticket. I think you'll probably be okay - the airlines aren't in the business of stranding passengers, and Seattle is a very easy airport to get around, but you won't have time to dally.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

Oh dear my bad I must have typed vancouver and not victoria. Thats why i posted the URL so others could check but it was still my mistake so My Apologies

Edited: 11:22 am, March 22, 2013
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

DRATs, I think it might be easier if we only do carry on right?? I really hate rushing about,, what do you think should I just tell girls we are doing carryon only, will that make any difference in time saving ( not having to collect bags and recheck bags)?

Canada
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

Gah! Pre-clearence would be so much easier.

1.5 hours does seem awfully tight even with hand baggage. If immigration and then you have to change terminals and redo security it could be a problem, but hopefully not.

How weird that YYJ doesn't pre-clear, not big enough I suppose, but all those flights to Seattle?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

will that make any difference in time saving

=========

No. Because by the time you get through immigration (if the lines there are really bad) your luggage should be on the belts, and you'll still have to queue up with everyone else to go through customs, and then immediately the other side of customs, you hand your bags over with no check in procedure (it should already be labelled to HNL)

The places you lose time are at immigration, customs (usually not too bad) and then security going back airside. None of those are affected by hand luggage only. Arguably, if you are stopped for an extra search at security because you have a lot of carry on luggage, it could even take longer.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

depressed .

Thanks for info, will at least anticipate the stress.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

It can be done. We have done it before. Seattle is an amazingly easy airport to navigate through. Customs goes real fast with lots of windows. We have done it with an hour to spare, and still had time to pick up snacks once we got to our gate. Just remember one thing..do NOT open your luggage to put your sweater or jacket in. We got hauled into the naughty room for opening our luggage before it cleared customs. ooops

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria-Hon connect Seattle,1.5 hrs enough

oh and ps , once you clear customs, there is a baggage handler who takes your checked luggage for you. Just make sure that you check it right through to Honolulu when you check in at YJJ.